Recommendations for guided dive for newbie in FLL/MIA area on 5/23

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I were certified OW divers this year and are headed out on a cruise 5/24. I wanted to try to dive 5/23 but want to dive with a divemaster/guide. Do you have any recommendations on outfits to contact?

What port are you leaving from and where are you staying? Do you prefer a wreck dive or reef and what depth.

Leaving from port of Miami on the 24th. Flying into FLL the 22nd. Will stay near where we dive. Key largo probably works too if it's only an hour down the road. We have never dived below 50ft. Don't know enough to have a preference between wrecks and reefs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reef dives off Key Largo are all less than 50 ft. Most are 25-35 ft. boats run twice a day. Just ask for a DM and they will provide one. I dive often with Horizon and Ocean Divers. Both are good ops.

It is almost exactly 1 hour from MIA airport to Key Largo mile post 100 where OD and H are. There are several other boats that run out of the same marina.

You just want to avoid the Speigel/Duane/Bibb if you are looking for shallow reef.

I was on a boat trip to dive the Spiegel Grove or Duane and saw a couple of guys with only OW, not AOW, turned down for the dive. Captain was willing to consider log books documenting experience, but they weren't carrying them. So be mindful at least some op.s may not let you hit a deep wreck (as many wrecks are) if you are OW but not AOW, and don't have a Deep Diver cert..

Also, if I'd never dove over 50 feet deep, I'm not so sure heading down 80 something plus feet hand-over-hand down a barnacle encrusted mooring line in current is how I'd want to introduce myself to it.

But the Key Largo reef dives would be sweet.

Richard.

I'm out of town that weekend otherwise I would offer to dive with you.

In Ft. Lauderdale contact Sea Experience. On Saturdays they usually do a 70' wreck and a shallow reef. They will be happy to provide a guide for you for a little more money.

In Boynton Beach forum member Kevin from Underwater Explorers is usually in the water with the divers; if he's not in the water someone else will be guiding at no additional cost. This is a six pack boat.

In Key Largo check out Rainbow Reef, they always put a guide in the water at no additional cost.

I'm out of town that weekend otherwise I would offer to dive with you.

In Ft. Lauderdale contact Sea Experience. On Saturdays they usually do a 70' wreck and a shallow reef. They will be happy to provide a guide for you for a little more money.

In Boynton Beach forum member Kevin from Underwater Explorers is usually in the water with the divers; if he's not in the water someone else will be guiding at no additional cost. This is a six pack boat.

In Key Largo check out Rainbow Reef, they always put a guide in the water at no additional cost.

Kevin and UE charges $40 for a DM now, I believe, regardless of the size of the group. You can arrange for the DM when you reserve the dive on the website

There are private DMs also who guide. :) I am in the Hollywood area (Ft. Lauderdale)

Key Largo is great for new divers. Most of the reefs are very shallow: you probably don't need a guide, all you have to do is pop up to the surface if you feel like you're lost and get a fix on the dive boat. Or just pop up every 10 minutes to double check on the boat. If you want a guide, almost any operator can provide one. I tend to dive with Conch Republic the most.

Another option, if you stay in the Ft Lauderdale rather than heading to the Keys, is Pompano. The first reef line is beautiful and only 25-30 feet deep. Several good operators are in the area, you'd just need to check to see if they are going to shallow or deep sites on the day you want to dive. I like South Florida Dive HQ, Scubatyme and Pompano Dive Center. If you don't like the looks of any of those three, check with Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea or Force-E: just describe the kind of dive you want and they'll find a boat for you. Both shops rent gear (as to most dive boat operators). Again, you probably don't need a guide on the 1st reef line in Pompano, but you can hire one from any of the shops or maybe Scuba Jenny (prior post) can show you some nice beach dives in LBTS or Hollywood.

My suggestion would be to goto Key Largo and do 2 reef dives. They will be around 30 feet each and a good warm up for your cruise dives. It is about 1 hour south of Miami. A few notes for hotels. The keys hotels are pretty pricey. I would not let family stay in homestead or Florida city.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom