Recommendations for good cardio workout machine/apparatus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was thinking of trying one of those Total Gyms becasue Chuck Norris uses it.

But really, they look like the could be good cardio for upper and lower body.....like swimming but without a pool. I also have a bowflex but don't get enough cardio during hurricane season...not getting out on the boat much and spearing. Anyone try or have one?

Another vote for the elliptical machine. I have the Smooth 3.2 and use it just about every day. We also have a treadmill, Nordic track skier and stationary bike but I would have to say that the elliptical is the best of them all. I also have a Soloflex system and lots of free weights with a bench. I like to do cardio daily and hit the weights about three times a week.

With the Smooth I plug in my Ipod with some workout music and burn off the calories.
It's a beautiful thing...:D:D:D

The best one is the one you will actually use, only you know that. I'm partial to treadmills, I have no interest in running either but I like walking and you can get a good workout walking on an incline at a decent rate. Programmable ones can help some with boredom. I also like ellipticals, but I think it's really important to try different ones because they all feel a lot different in their "stride." Some will feel natural to you and others awkward.

Yet another vote for the elliptical, make sure to get one that has the arm things too. It doesn't hurt your joints, it's quiet and you can change it up to avoid being bored. On Cardio days I do 5 minutes forward, 3 minutes back, 4 minutes forward, 2 minutes back, 1 minute forward (then bike for 20 minutes...) By setting short term limits you and then switching it up you work different muscles and avoid getting bored. You can also change the resistence as well.

PS the total gym is a piece of garbage. I bought it and sold it on Craigs list within two weeks.

Yet another vote for the elliptical, make sure to get one that has the arm things too. It doesn't hurt your joints, it's quiet and you can change it up to avoid being bored. On Cardio days I do 5 minutes forward, 3 minutes back, 4 minutes forward, 2 minutes back, 1 minute forward (then bike for 20 minutes...) By setting short term limits you and then switching it up you work different muscles and avoid getting bored. You can also change the resistence as well.

PS the total gym is a piece of garbage. I bought it and sold it on Craigs list within two weeks.

I bought a Bowflex Ultimate II in September. It was pricey, but I am loving the heck out of it. I wasn't happy with the amount of cardio I could do with the Bowflex, so I bought a treadmill in January. I am up to 700 calories an hour on the treadmill with a 20 minute workout on the Bowflex every day. The treadmill has different routines that you can change the time, incline, and speed on. It is not boring at all. When I first started out, I was reading while walking. Now, and I am moving way too fast on the treadmill to make any serious progress reading. I am going to start listening to books on tape or watching DVDs.

I changed my diet and gave up red meat, all sweets including chocolate and ice cream, sodas and caffeine, and all fried foods. I have dropped about 8 pounds and increased muscle mass about .8% since November. The best part is when I walk into places I haven't been to in awhile and they all comment about my obvious weight loss and conditioning.:D

A trampoline. I got one for my kids for Christmas and man, 5 minutes of jumping is like running but without the pounding on the knees.

Another vote here for the elliptical. They are nice machines, zero impact on the joints. I'd also recommend complimenting them with an inexpensive set of free weights (decent quality doesn't have to be expensive).

Also, if you want an excellent "out of the house" routine, then swimming is one of the best all-round fitness routes.

Cheers,

-S

Im a great fan of Body weight training combined with free weights.

Various types of exercise routines especially HIIT are needed for my line of work.

Back
Top Bottom