Recommendations for good cardio workout machine/apparatus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Looking to replace my 10+yr old stepper with something that won't simply bore me to the point I no longer use it. Would like to be able to plant myself in front of the TV for 1/2hr or so a day and get a good cardio workout prior to spending another 1/2hr on my bowflex for strenth workout.

Not much of a runner, so a treadmill is sort of out. I don't want something that requires wild swinging of arms and legs a-la some ridiculous infomercial.

Appreciate any suggestions.

How about an elliptical machine? I have a love/hate relationship with mine, but they are effective. And most people find them easy on the joints.

Our is also very quiet which makes watching tv or whatever easy.

Get one with a good range of adjustment and it should last for a very long time and keep you motivated! Nothing like changing the tension on these babies to make you think you're going to fall over dead :D

Sounds like a exercycle would be okay.

You want an exceptionly good workout with no equipment? This is for skiing but it beats you up real good (I mean it!) and it also works on balance, mobility, coordination, and core strength at the same time---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiVTWywrb0

Each set is 10 reps on the exercises where both sides go at the same time and 20 reps (10 each side) where they alternate.

Run thru the ten exercises with a 60 second break between sets. Take a 120 second break and run thru it a second time. Once that isn't killing you, start cutting down the break time.

never underestimate the power of walking on an incline, either, I find it tougher than running. Also, doing some dumbells at the same time (flys) for the first few minutes adds some excitement, I mean pain.

I just started doing the intensity on intervals since the latest I read seems to support bursts of higher HR more efficient than longer times in target range.

Shortening the time shortens my boredom. I do the tv thing....with the HR monitor.

..yea, thats how I ski too. hey, those look good, I will try some of those, especially anything to replace lunges. Uh...sending that one to the Marines! That is one efficient little collection you have there. pant, pant

Oh, I forgot, here's the instructions for that workout--

http://www.trainforskivacation.com/Sharpenyouredges06.pdf

learn2turn:
Sounds like a exercycle would be okay.

You want an exceptionly good workout with no equipment? This is for skiing but it beats you up real good (I mean it!) and it also works on balance, mobility, coordination, and core strength at the same time---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiVTWywrb0

Each set is 10 reps on the exercises where both sides go at the same time and 20 reps (10 each side) where they alternate.

Run thru the ten exercises with a 60 second break between sets. Take a 120 second break and run thru it a second time. Once that isn't killing you, start cutting down the break time.

RJP:
Looking to replace my 10+yr old stepper with something that won't simply bore me to the point I no longer use it. Would like to be able to plant myself in front of the TV for 1/2hr or so a day and get a good cardio workout prior to spending another 1/2hr on my bowflex for strenth workout.

Not much of a runner, so a treadmill is sort of out. I don't want something that requires wild swinging of arms and legs a-la some ridiculous infomercial.

Appreciate any suggestions.

I would get a bicycle and get out of the house. I know that's not quite what you're asking, but I also hate television and don't own one.

I find that any sort of repetative workout gets boring eventually, and people generally don't stick with it. I think whatever machine you get you're going to end up in the same place you're in now, and I think something like cycling with a challenge you can change from time to time is going to keep you more engaged and interested.

RJP:
LOL, so you don't want the Gazelle?? http://www.tonylittle.com/detail.aspx?ID=4 His infomercial always cracked me up!! :dork2:

I like the Elliptical machine. Its a GREAT work out, and easy on the joints. I hate running too, so I hear ya on not wanting a treadmill. Swimming is actually a great work out too, but you can't really do that in home :wink:

How about an elliptical machine? I have a love/hate relationship with mine, but they are effective. And most people find them easy on the joints.
Our is also very quiet which makes watching tv or whatever easy.
Get one with a good range of adjustment and it should last for a very long time and keep you motivated! Nothing like changing the tension on these babies to make you think you're going to fall over dead :D

Oh yeah,:14: I am totally agree with you. Elliptical machine is just what I choose, really a great cardio workout way. I do it about one year, and feel good. Recently I bought a ProForm 675 Elliptical Trainer for my sister online as a birthday present. Get a low-impact, all-over workout with this ProForm Cardio CrossTrainer 675 Elliptical. SAVE BIG! Exercise your upper and lower body for a total workout. This Cardio CrossTrainer uses low-impact elliptical motion to help you get in shape with less stress on your body. The foot pedals exercise your lower body while moving handlebars give your upper body a refreshing workout. EKG Grip Pulse Monitor with convenient sensors built into the handlebars ¿ simply grip them for an accurate reading of your heart rate. My sister likes it very much, a recent price is just $300 instead of $350. Maybe you want to look it up, here is the link I used, click it to get the detail
http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=60011

Oh, I forgot, here's the instructions for that workout--

http://www.trainforskivacation.com/Sharpenyouredges06.pdf

That is really awesome. Picture 150 Marines doing that one in about four weeks in Hawaii. Thanks for the instructions, those guys are a hoot. I like that workout because it will thrash you in a very short period of time, which is recently been touted as a very efficient way to exercise, plus combing balnace with strength training has been shown to effect your brain in a very positive way. (at least in the Yoga journals, many of the writers have been on this subject lately) One downside of machines, I think is that they are designed to disengage your brain.

LIke...cycling trainers, VS rollers for example. I don't have rollers, but would like to....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom