Recommendations for dive operations in Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We always dive with Octopus Dive School. The owner, Nuria, takes very good care of her divers. Small, personalized groups. Quick to respond via email or phone.

Tell her Grant said Aloha!

Check out Barefoot Divers on the south side. Excellent op. AKR is also excellent, but I think they are a cruise ship dive op.

We use West Bay divers, but that’s because we stay in west bay. I think it depends on where stay. I can say that west bay divers is a full service op that has several boats but keeps the size small, may 8 divers per trip max. We’ve had several dives where it was just my husband and I- depending on the time of the year.

I recommend Octopus Dive School in Sandy Bay or Blue Planet in West Bay. Small boats and excellent dive masters.

Seeking some recommendations for who to dive with in Roatan. Don't want to get stuck with the cruise ship excursion crowds. Thanks!!!

Are you going to be on a cruise?

What area do you want to stay and what kind of diving are you wanting to do. I can recommend Dive Pangea on the east end at Camp Bay. I seriously doubt you’d see any cruise shippers there. No cattle boats either.

AKR is thw cruise operator for Carnival/Mahogany Bay. They dedicate one boat to their daily cruise traffic and we watched them leave by about noon. You can only dive with AKR IF you're staying there afaik - except for the dolphin dive.

If you are on a cruise Barefoot does have a cruise package but it's a small boutique operation so no cruise crowds. Plus it's close to either port. If not, it's a nice upscale resort on the south side.

If you're staying on Roatan - plese post where as the recommendations made above are useless w/o knowing that.

Went out with Barefoot Divers a bunch of times, and West End Divers several times. Either one is good depending on where you want to dive. Went out with Black Pearl Divers to dive The Odyssey wreck, nice dive but was not impressed with the operation.

Sun Divers in West End has 2 smaller boats and generally takes out 4-8 divers at a time in each. Great people who know the reef well, can find the small stuff and the bigger stuff. They actually care about the reef, and also have attentive boat captains. They are flexible to meet the needs of their customers, and carry newer equipment if you need to rent anything. We just got back from diving with them for our 5th year. They have certified me, my wife and 4 of our 5 children. Our youngest, a petite 10 year old, started diving for the first time this year and they did an amazing job getting her sorted, playing 'games' to get her acclimated to swapping regulators etc. They just got involved in a coral restoration project, and my wife got some education/training and was then involved in a couple of dives "planting" the tree hangers and cleaning existing trees that were growing coral.

If you're on a cruise, they will pick you up and return you to port with plenty of time. If you're staying on the island you can take the early boat out for a 2-tank morning, then do an afternoon dive, night dive etc. There's quite a lot of dive sites that are only 5-10 minutes boat ride.

Our youngest, now a "bubble-blower" addict!!
P7240241-edit-web.jpg

Finding the small stuff
P7240170-edit-web.jpg

And the even smaller stuff!
P7220065-edit-web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom