Recommendations for dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Am looking at getting some new dive lights (primary and a backup) and was thinking to go LED. Looking around, the best (meaning cheapest) packages seemed to be Princeton, but a disconcerting number of reviews complain about leaks, especially on the backup lights.

Anyone have any views? Predominant use would be night diving in tropical waters.

Rhone Man,

Let me be the first to express that best doesn't usually equate to cheapest.

I have the Princeton LED lights and I love them. I dive with them often and have had no complaints. I don't do too much o-ring maintenance other than throw them in with my gear when rinsing. Every once in a while, I remove the o-rings, clean the grooves and re-lube. I haven't had any leak.

BTW, everything can leak. :51:

I've had solid use out of my UK D8 (w/ rechargable batt) and UK mini Q40's for backup. Nice white light, lasts forever, solid plastic shell and lamp casing that withstands abuse. For the $$ I thought they are a great choice.

Am looking at getting some new dive lights (primary and a backup) and was thinking to go LED. Looking around, the best (meaning cheapest) packages seemed to be Princeton, but a disconcerting number of reviews complain about leaks, especially on the backup lights.

Anyone have any views? Predominant use would be night diving in tropical waters.

It's all a matter of taste. I've done night dives in tropical waters with a 4-c cell flashlight, and I've done it with what is the equivalent of a car headlight. I prefer the 4-C cell light. It interferes with my night vision less, and I think i can see much more outside of the light. The big light totally illuminates an area. Aesthetically I don't like it as much.

Now, for caves, etc., I would go with whatever the DIR folks use.

I have a Princeton Tec Miniwav LED and am very happy with it.
First off it is a 4c LED light with a 9 watt max output. This is 3-4 watts more than the majority of 4c LED lights. Light output is on par with many 8c lights and half the cells means half the weight yet with LED lighting battery life is still very good.
As for a backup light I prefer the UK Q LED Plus it's a 4 AA 2 watt light that fits well in a pocket and still outputs a good light beam.
Leaks with any well designed underwater electrical device are nearly always traced back to poor o-ring maintainence. The rings need to be kept completely clean and free of any dirt and contamination. O-ring lube needs to be used sparingly, just enough to lube without any extra to attract dirt. O-rings need to be replaced at the first sign of wear. Without extreme care the best design will fail and lead to expensive junk.

I haven't bought a primary yet, but I just picked up an Intova Nova as a secondary/daytime dive light. I found mine at geeks.com for $26. 3 watt/70 lumen luxeon LED. Bright, compact, solid aluminum construction. Intova also is coming out with a 4.8 watt/130 lumen CREE LED version of the same light.

I'm probably going to end up with a UK 4C light as a primary, but I'm not done shopping yet. Prior to diving, I've had quite a bit of experience with both UK and Princeton Tec, and have had great use from all their products I've used, from a quality and durability standpoint.

I use the UK C8 eLED Plus as my primary light and the SL4 as a back up. My wife uses the same. They are the main competitor to Princeton Tec. The products are pretty much even from what I've read. Went with UK for the eLED which regulates battery life to make it a little more consistent. With LED's I'm not sure if it's really needed or not. I think you'll be happy with either company. I loved my C8 and got a compliment on it from my dive buddy in Bonaire who used a HID light costing about 3X more.

I like my Ike lights. They are durable and reliable. Plus they stand behind their warranty. I smashed one of mine getting up the ladder during rough conditions and they replaced it without any questions asked. Smashed the same light again, sent it back, and it also was replaced without any problems.

Hi Rhone Man,

nocturnal lights rechargeable dive light, led dive light, lantern style dive light, canister dive light, lights, for scuba diving, technical diving, night diving, cave diving, and more.

Our SLX is definitely a great candidate for a LED light if it fits your budget. It packs a lot of power for a little light, it has an aluminum housing, and an optional hand mount that gives you the freedom to dive hands free. Let me know if you have any questions after you have a look at it, I'll be happy to help you with any questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom