Recommendations for completing OWC in Kaanapali (Maui)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello...

I will be staying at the Westin in Kaanapali and we will be completing our OWC (via referral) there. We are looking for a good operation to complete our 4 dives with. It would seem the easiest would be to use the "Kaanapali Dive Company" located at the Westin, but I cannot find any reviews. Has anyone used this company before? We are also looking at the "Maui Dive Shop" in the Whalers Village. Also very convenient.

Or is it better to just head down to Lahaina and use Lahaina Divers, Extended Horizons, Pacific Dive, etc. Any thought or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

When are you coming to Maui?

I'd be pleased to help you out with that course, providing I'm available -- let me know and we'll look at the schedule!

We did our OW and AOW with Lahaina Divers and found them to be excellent for instruction. One really nice thing about Lahaina Divers is I think you do your OW dives off of their boats (you'd want to double check that).

I would suggest staying away from Pacific Dive Shop. I was very unimpressed with them. I just recieved my OWC, booked a two tank shore dive in advance-with payment, stopped in the day before to verify, was told all was good and thought great. Until I showed up to dive and was told nobody ever actually called a divemaster. They stuck me on a quick dive with a divemaster more interested in taking pictures than making sure I was doing all right. I was somewhat bummed they could not or would not suggest anyplace else I could try and hook up with a 2nd dive for that day. Hey, I enjoyed my first real dive but would never go back to them.
Steve

My wife and I did our open water cert dives with Jim Soos (Maui Scuba Diving). We were staying at the Marriott (just south of the Westin). He picked us up on Monday at 8:30 am and took us down towards Lahaina to a beach where we geared up and went in from the beach. We were back at the hotel by 12:00 or so. Same thing on Tuesday. Jim provided us with all of our gear (minus masks, snorkels and fins, we brought our own)

Initially, I thought it was very tough dealing with the waves, surge etc, but after doing a few drift dives, I realize that doing the cert dives in not-so easy conditions is probably better than doing them in nice calm waters. I had a tough time with my mask flooding (wasn't sealing well) and Jim was patient with me. Overall, I had a great experience diving with Jim. You can get in touch with Jim through http://www.mauiscubadiving.com

Thank you. Great board with good, honest replies.

I am leaning towards Lahaina Divers from all the positive reviews I have read, the location and that they seem to be the only one doing the dive off their boat if possible (weather and enough people). Now, since I have no clue if it matters, would it be better to do the dives from the boat or shore?

The reply about Maui Scuba Diving is interesting. It would be nice to get picked up and taken to the particular beach for the dives. All the other shops have you drive and meet someone then join/follow them to the best beach.

Thanks again!

Will be there 11/11 - 11/17. I have been to Maui many times and snorkeled all over the island and the water always had a chill to it that I did not mind. However, my woman gets cold in the desert, so I am hoping a 5mm full will be good for her. Any thoughts on suit, gloves, hood, boots, etc for her?

Good link: nodc.noaa.gov (NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide)

Also, I was reading that the fishbowl was closed now. Is that true? By closed I mean parking and walking the lava field trail to get to it. We really enjoyed hitting that over the years and then stopping by the four seasons for a snack and cocktail at the pool bar afterwards. :)

Now, since I have no clue if it matters, would it be better to do the dives from the boat or shore?

It's a matter of preference. Personally, I believe at least your first two open water dives should be done from shore. It's easier to take any time you need to get accustomed, without the boat's schedule pushing you. It is also a lot easier to readjust at the start of the dive -- just stand up, and you're on the surface.

The reply about Maui Scuba Diving is interesting. It would be nice to get picked up and taken to the particular beach for the dives. All the other shops have you drive and meet someone then join/follow them to the best beach.

This is insurance / PU (Taxi) Commission related. If the instructor, whom you are paying, provides transportation, they must be licensed as a taxi driver, and their vehicle must meet those standards. That is why very few operators here will do this sort of pickup & delivery -- their staff isn't insured and licensed for vehicular transportation for fee. I don't know about individual operators, so I'm not going to speak outside of generalities on this one.

Also, I was reading that the fishbowl was closed now. Is that true? By closed I mean parking and walking the lava field trail to get to it. We really enjoyed hitting that over the years and then stopping by the four seasons for a snack and cocktail at the pool bar afterwards. :)

That is correct. You could still rent a kayak and launch from the south end of the lava flow, paddle over, drop anchor ON SAND, and swim in from the ocean side... but that might be more work than it's worth.

On the other hand, you'll probably have the place to yourselves, and the fish are likely even more plentiful than you're used to... so YMMV.

Thank you. Great board with good, honest replies.

I am leaning towards Lahaina Divers from all the positive reviews I have read, the location and that they seem to be the only one doing the dive off their boat if possible (weather and enough people). Now, since I have no clue if it matters, would it be better to do the dives from the boat or shore?

I don't know it matters whether or not you do your OW dives from shore or boat. If you're comfortable in the water, you shouldn't have any problem doing your OW dives from a boat.

Like I posted previously, we did our OW (and AOW) with Lahaina Divers and thought one of the best parts was feeling like "real" divers doing our first giant strides in our gear for our OW dives. As a matter of fact, we didn't do our first shore dives until a year (and 40 dives) later when we returned to Maui. We quickly discovered that we much prefer boat diving on Maui, so that's what we do, though we do adore shore diving on Bonaire and avoid boats there like the plague. Other folks love shore diving on Maui, so this is simply personal preference and no judgment about the quality of Maui shore diving.

As to your wife being colder, you might want to plan on a 5mm full suit with a hood and vest (or hooded vest) for layering. She'll for sure want boots to keep her feet warm as well. We'll be on Maui for Christmas and New Years this year and I plan to wear my 7mm full since a 5mm full with a 3mm vest isn't enough for me. I also will wear 3mm boots with merino wool socks. :wink: I believe I saw on B&B's website that the water temp is about 77-78 right now, so use that as your guage.

Back
Top Bottom