Recommendations for a starting rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing which someone brought up, or at least alluded to, is to consider what unit your primary dive buddies are using. In N FL, it's a good bet someone is diving just about any unit available, and of course, support for almost all units is available as well. In other parts of the world, however, there may be more of a concentration of one or two units in any given area. The value of mentors and dive buddies on the same unit is not something to be underestimated.

One thing which someone brought up, or at least alluded to, is to consider what unit your primary dive buddies are using. In N FL, it's a good bet someone is diving just about any unit available, and of course, support for almost all units is available as well. In other parts of the world, however, there may be more of a concentration of one or two units in any given area. The value of mentors and dive buddies on the same unit is not something to be underestimated.

Agree completely. In my neck of the woods, there is a proliferation of Optimas with the new CRR divers while the more tech minded guys are diving rEvos almost exclusively. From what i can see, there are very few places in the world where you won't find at least a couple of guys using rEvos. My only snag with them is the price point, a micro titanium is a HEALTHY chunk of change in order to get a unit that weighs the same as my Mk6 for travel, whereas a lightly used Poseidon unit can be picked up very cheaply.

When Santa decides Ive been a VERY good boy, I will probably end up getting a rEvo.

Hi all,

I need some advice!

I have always been interested in rebreather diving and its something I want to pursue in the future. As all the courses are unit specific I am looking for some advice on the different units.

My old requirements is that it can't have a limiting maximum depth (like the Hollis explorer).

I plan to do lot of travelling so size and weight may be a slight issue but one of the main factors is how easy it is in sourcing parts from around the world.

Looking forward to your replies and thanks in advanced

I think the Pelagian DCCCR is a great choice. It has a very low travel weight. It fits in your carry on luggage when flying. You can dive the unit with any size cylinders without having to adjust more than the tank bands. I have dived it with 2liter steel to 80cfs with out any problems in assembly. All hoses and connections are regular LP regualtor hoses or INT couplings for inflation hoses. You can choose between front or backmounted counterlungs and expedition size scrubber if you need the extra dive time.

If you want a flexible robust unit that makes great for travel this is your choice. You can't find any other unit as small, lightweight and flexible as the Pelagian DCCCR. Take a look at the webpage or send me a mess if you have more questions on training or buying a unit. www.rebreatherlab.com

closed circuit rebreathers, parts and training

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom