recommendations for a snorkel set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jghali

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guys, im heading down to the keys this summer to go snorkeling and i may get my diving cert and well my old gear is pretty trashed so i was looking into a bang for buck set.....i need size 15 fins and your recommendation on a mask snorkel combo....im looking to spend no more than 50 dollars on the set because my uncle will be giving me a set after finishing my diving cert....but i want a back up cheap snorkel set to swim with before getting the new kit and to just have....thanks for your time!!!

A snorkel set you buy for $50 may be a waste of money if you're soon going to get better stuff for diving, especially if $50 includes fins.
Is there a reason your uncle is waiting until after you finishing your cert? Because you will generally need this gear to take the certification class. The snorkel doesn't matter much as long as it's not too bulky, as you don't use it much when diving. But inexpensive snorkeling fins usually aren't suitable for diving because you're pushing more stuff through the water and are more likely to find yourself in a situation where you need more power sometimes. And your mask at a minimum needs to be tempered glass and fit very well for diving, as well as allow you to pinch your nose easily. (It's obviously best if your mask fits well for snorkeling too, but it's not quite as critical as for diving.)

Maybe you can make a deal with your uncle to take you shopping now, you throw in your $50 and he pays the rest? Especially if he is a diver and can help you buy the right stuff.

If you still really want to get an inexpensive set, I would suggest just going to a sporting goods store or anyplace that sells this stuff. You should have lots of choices where you are. It's hard to suggest a specific set, since the most important thing is that the stuff fits and there's no way to know what will fit you. Try on the masks to get a good fit. Here is some information on getting a mask that fits right - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fins-masks-snorkels/273886-mask-fitting-procedure.html. Some inexpensive sets come in packaging that makes this impossible, I would avoid those. A suitable mask doesn't have to be expensive though, if you're lucky you will find something that fits well that you can use diving or have as a spare. Also try on fins to see if they feel comfortable and won't give you blisters.

thanks for your help, yeah well im going to the keys and wanted just a set for recreation snorkeling and he already bought me a set for diving but he wont arrive in islamorada until a week after i arrive so i just thought i might as well buy a snorkel set that i can use for recreation snorkeling....about the size 15 fins do you have a suggestion on were i could find a cheap pair for snorkeling that will fit a size 15

You can probably rent a set with the dive/snorkel operator that you choose for $5 or 10 a day. That may save you a few $$.

I agree. If I were you I would rent gear until the new stuff arrives. Take a look at these shops in Islamorada :

Florida Keys SCUBA Diving Trips and Rates in Islamorada, FL | Holiday Isle Dive Shop
Florida Keys Dive Center - Your Florida Keys diving adventure begins here...
Key Dives Guided Scuba Diving in Islamorada in the Florida Keys
Scuba Diving Florida Keys/Key Largo/Tavernier
Scuba Diving / Snorkeling Boat Departure Times And Pricing Ocean For Ocean Quest Dive Center, Islamorada, The Florida Keys

there are so many shops in the keys that you could rent from and I obviously haven't listed them all.. I think that's the best way to go and if you want a back-up mask to have I would get one just as good as the one your uncle is giving you as you may have to use it one day :)
(read some of the other posts about getting a mask that fits correctly)

ok, sounds good but i still would like to find a pair of fins for a size 15..i rather not worry about if they have my size to rent...and instead just buy a pair of fins ya know?

All-rubber full-foot fins were the preferred style of fins when I snorkelled in the Mediterranean in the 1970s and many snorkellers wore them when I snorkelled at La Jolla Cove in more recent times. I use a similar pair when I snorkel in the North Sea off the coast of North East England. They're now popular as training fins for swimmers too. Prices for these fins vary from $20 to $35, e.g. below:

http://www.wbhswim.com/training_aids-legs-feet.html
sprintaquatics-SPRINT FLOATING FINS

and come in a very large range of sizes. It's worth heeding the advice on the website about erring on a larger size than normal when selecting for size. It's possible to wear socks or booties with full-foot fins like these for warmth and protection, just make sure the fins are roomy enough to accommodate the extra bulk.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom