Recommendations for a good starter Mask/Snorkel/fin kit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like my Apollo Full Foot fins. They are fast. From a dead stop my rocket fins seem to start faster, but the Apollos are faster at top speed with less effort. I have excellent control in stopping, turning and reversing direction. I can tow weaker swimmers against a current easily. Some say that they do not work in a current, but it may just be how they perceive it. They work better all around - underwater or on the surface. I wear size 11.5 EEE shoes. In my bare feet, these fins are LOOSE - Size L/XL. If I wear a sock, they are fine. I can also stretch (They are designed for this) them on over my narrow size 12 dive booties (Techna zip, mid-weight sole) -this is a plus for when walking on seashell or rocky beaches. I purchased them because I wanted to try the split fins and think they are great. My SCUBA fins are Open Heel USD Rocket Fins and Mares Plana Avanti and Raptor. I use the full foot for lighter duty activities such as snorkeling and freediving. The foot pocket will wear/tear sooner than open heel. Open heel can replace the strap several times. My rocket fins are over 30 years old and my Mares Plana Avanti are over 15 years old - by comparison this is probably my fifth pair of full foot fins in over 30 years. I use open heel for SCUBA and free diving. Think about the power transfer between a full foot pocket (an extension of your foot/ankle) vs an open heel (not as efficient due to movement of heel in foot pocket). Freedivers and snorkelers tend to use full foot in California and Hawaii. I will freedive for Abalone on Tuesday April 1 California Coast Pacific Ocean 48-52F. I can use my Apollo Full Foot with bootie or my Mares Raptors Open Heel. Free diving in Hawaii 70-80F I use both. Snorkeling Hawaii I use Full Foot with either bootie or sock.

Well, I wanted to have my gear by next week Thursday because I'm going on vacation to Gulf Shores. But, I guess I'll try and find some leftover gear I have lying around the house if I have too. And Ill try and hit up all the LDS's on Monday and the ones I come across on vacation.

I will still take all the info you guys can give me!

Thanks!

Thanks for all the help, I'm considering the "X-Pert Zoom Dive Package"

Personal Gear Snorkeling and Scuba Diving Packages of dive equipment- Mask, Snorkel, Fins and Booties

But the mask seems a little cheap and the fins seem a bit too expensive. Any recommendations for replacements.

To me, they all look fine from the pictures and descriptions.

Can you post a link to a cheaper fin that you like?

A more robust mask?

How can you tell? I'm curious.

Dave C

I guess I'm going by the "You get what you pay for" theory which may, or may not be correct.

$30 mask with $150 fins just seemed lopsided.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess I'm going by the "You get what you pay for" theory which may, or may not be correct.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Correct.
My ideal snorkeling package would be
Tilos $40
Tusa Platina $30
Apollo Full Foot $48
=$118

Here is a magazine that tests Masks, Fins, & Snorkels
10 Frameless Masks - Scuba Diving Magazine

I would not rush into any equipment purchase if I could avoid it. I take my time and check everything out and get the best performing most comfortable equipment I can afford for my needs. By choosing the best equipment for ones needs, will make for a better experience. Rush decisions can mean being stuck with less than desirable gear.

RonFrank seems to consider researching to determine the best equipment for comfort and performance then checking prices as LDS abuse which is not on topic.

The OP is asking for advice on both buying and selecting personal dive gear. My response is no more off topic then your suggestion.

I don't seem to consider it LDS abuse, I consider it wrong. You are the one advocating this behavior, I am saying that it's bad taste, and a good way to kill a relationship with an LDS.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: I see the package now. My apologies.

Product price does not necessarily equate to quality or suitability in markets where fashion and novelty reign.

But I can see your point about not wanting excessively wide price ranges in this set of gear.

Dave C

Well, I wanted to have my gear by next week Thursday because I'm going on vacation to Gulf Shores. But, I guess I'll try and find some leftover gear I have lying around the house if I have too. And Ill try and hit up all the LDS's on Monday and the ones I come across on vacation.

I will still take all the info you guys can give me!

Thanks!

If you order now from ST, I think you can have it by Wednesday, but you may have to pay a bit more in shipping. Unfortunately things have gone up in price. That Mares XVision mask is now $60, and it was $40.

I agree on the mask, at least avoid the panoramic. I have one. The side panels are just about useless. Despite the cool graphic on the add, one can NOT see well out of the side panels.

I would go for an BigEyes/XVision sytle of mask.

The link you posted takes me to a $74 package with $24 fins. Maybe there's a mistake somewhere.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fi...starter-mask-snorkel-fin-kit.html#post3464230

Product price does not necessarily equate to quality or suitability in markets where fashion and novelty reign.

But I can see your point about not wanting excessively wide price ranges in this set of gear.

What was the correct link or products or prices?

Dave C

Scroll down the page a bit...

The OP is asking for advice on both buying and selecting personal dive gear. My response is no more off topic then your suggestion.

I don't seem to consider it LDS abuse, I consider it wrong. You are the one advocating this behavior, I am saying that it's bad taste, and a good way to kill a relationship with an LDS.

Off topic again.
I am not advocating any such behavior that you describe. An erroneous assumption about another's behavior and interpreting checking prices as buying from another source is stretching it to fit your point of view. Self-Righteous and fabricating an incorrect scenario to fit ones need to exercise their self-righteousness. Trying out equipment and checking prices is not telling one where to shop. I listed where I purchased my equipment. The 3 dive shops in my area do not stock Tilos Masks or Apollo Full foot Uni or Tusa Platina. ZIP code 94553. And I would never stick a display snorkel in my mouth.

Back
Top Bottom