Recommendations for a "Compact" SMB ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoFe2O3

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for an SMB that will see minimal use. It's just to get me through a Solo-diver course, and MAYBE a few solo dives in easy conditions (beach walk-in, <40 feet deep, calm tropical water).
That said, I'm very small, an am looking for something that will be adequate for my limited needs, but will not be huge and cumbersome.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Check out this Akona SMB. I have one and it is very compact and easy to stow away. The inflation "nipple" is a little strange but is easy enough to use. I wouldn't rely on this one for off shore diving though as it is only just over 3 feet tall.
Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!

Absolutely NOT.

It's a riot watching people try to shoot a 6+' (usually ~50# of lift) SMB from shallow depth (really anything less than 70') and having it hit the surface completely limp. How visible to you think that marker is just lying flat on the sea? A 3' (usually ~6# lift) SMB, however, is easy to launch from any depth and will be fully erect at the surface. 3' beats 0' every day.

Now, if all you're looking for is a signal marker to deploy once *you* arrive at the surface, then a bigger marker makes a lot of sense (similarly, if you plan to launch it deep).

But packing a big marker with intentions of shallow deployment won't tend to result in much signaling power at all.

isn't getting a compact SMB a bit like getting a quiet whistle?

I second the small Halcyon one. It's pretty much the only one that gets real use from my arsenal (I have 3 different ones). Easy to use, compact enough and you can store it either together with the spool or separately.
I also second what Rainer says about unnecessarily big SMB:s. They really are for special use. Most rec divers really have no need for the hugamabots. Fun and frustrating to practice sometimes though :D

If you want a small, compact SMB, the DSS one takes the cake. It has a different kind of OPV from other SMBs, so it can roll up really flat. The bag itself is tapered, so although it is a meter tall, it requires much less air to inflate. For tropical water, it's an excellent bag. (I prefer a different kind of oral inflator for very cold water.)

Zeagle and Halcyon both have a 4.5 ft. smb which is right in the middle.
I own a larger 6 ft. xs-scuba smb but have only used it a couple times.
There are situations I might take the 6 ft. smb but most of the time I use
the 4.5 ft. smb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom