Recommendations for 2-week trip to Philippines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Scott,

I'm not sure where you're hearing that Thresher sightings aren't as frequent...ask around anyone working here and there are more threshers than ever. And that's even from the folks who've been here 5+ years. I just got back from a great dive this morning with at least three individuals and lots of circling action. We have not had a morning dive for a long time WITHOUT sightings.

I think you will not be disappointed with Malapascua.

As above, make a choice between the Visayas or North. In 2 weeks pick max 3 locations or you will just waste to much time travelling.

Good luck and enjoy.

Matt.

I liked PG and Anilao very much for diving. Anilao is just too quiet for me though but again, great diving. If it were me, I'd either do PG & Anilao OR the Visayas. Traveling to both in the same trip is just too much waisted time. Being your first trip, I'd do the Visayas.

Hey Scott,

My buddy and I are heading straight to Cebu at the end of Feb. From my perusal and discussions of diving in the Philippines we decided on Malapascua, then Moalboal and then on to either Bohol or Dumagette for our 2 weeks. As you can see in this forum there are lots of places to dive, we wanted to limit our travel time especially by plane, so using the fast ferries will be our main mode of transport after Cebu.

Make sure you post a trip report when you get back.

Cheers,

I forgot to mention Southern Leyte(Sogod Bay) on my previous post.
If I have two weeks diving in Visayas I would also consider Malapascua and Southern Leyte as well. A bit of travelling but you get to see the quiet side of the country.
Davao and General Santos in Mindanao are also interesting. How about a short trek at Mt. Apo and the Eagle farm?
So many places but so little time!

Just as Matt and Paolov said, max 3. If 3 in 2 weeks make sure no flight is involved. Do yourself a favor and plan to visit again so you don't feel pressured to change locations. You will love the Philippines. I had planned to visit just once and will soon make my 4th trip.

Thanks to everyone for your great information and feedback. We have planned, based upon your feedback, to spend the whole time in the Visayas. We will post a trip report later. Can Not Wait!!!

Happy Diving, Scott

I hope you enjoy your stay, I also want to let you know that the travel between Islands is fun and should not be looked upon as a burden. I personally enjoy the traveling and will be very glad to give you specific advice on transfers(as I am sure anyone here will be happy to do)... In the Visayas you can really travel on the cheap fairly efficiently.

I will be in the states on personal business when you and your friend are here but again if you have any specific questions on the best transfers you can PM or email me.

Cheers,
Roger

Lots of good info here, thanks.

I am likewise planning a 2 week trip for early May, pretty much set on first week Malapascua.

Then where? Any good diving around Cebu City as we will be flying out of there. How is the diving at Mactan?

Also considering flying through Donsol on the way back to Manila, is it worth it, any info on Manta Bowl.

If any time left might go to PG or Anilao.

I am looking for the best possible diving, AOW with 450 dives, I like drift diving, walls, dramatic reef topography, big fish and macro, wrecks some of the time, new to muck diving.

What kind of visibilities, water temps, current etc.

I appreciate any info you all can provide, Philippines Paradise divers is one lively forum.

sounds very ambitiotious indeed. Don't forget you cant dive at your flight days..

I would skip either PG or Visayas.. Perhaps PG + Coron is an option? PG is easy 4 days of diving without same spot twice. you might want to do Canynons more often though

think like this:
day 1: arrive manila
day 2: fly to Visayas; no diving
day 3: dive 3x
day 4: travel to next location: make 1 dive
day 5: 3 dives
etc.

Travelling is slow in Ph. Lot of islands (really?) so lot of car-boat-car spots. It's not like the boat leaves when your car arrives.. Manila - PG costs half a day.. if you leave early you can make 2 dives (1500 - 1800 nightdive) Which means arrive, go to divestore, dive, bring your stuff to the hotel, return and dive again..

Travelling for travelling is not travelling; it's just moving

It should be noted that doing the Canyons is not so much a dive as an E-ticket at Disneyland.

Back
Top Bottom