Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuintessentialMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm a terrestrial photographer but never really taken the plunge to UW photog (PITA factor vs benefit seems high for me.) Can you guys recommend a decent, not break the bank, UW P/S camera? Most of the lakes around here the vis is measured single digit but have a blue water coming up and figured maybe get some UW vacation pics.

Thanks for the reply, I looked at it but the 50ft limit kind of gets me. Just seems unnecessarily limiting for scuba gear. I am looking into either getting a new housing for my old Hero 3+ or getting a current Hero 10 (have a thread on the video forum). I just wanted something I could take stills with.

Thanks for the reply, I looked at it but the 50ft limit kind of gets me. Just seems unnecessarily limiting for scuba gear. I am looking into either getting a new housing for my old Hero 3+ or getting a current Hero 10 (have a thread on the video forum). I just wanted something I could take stills with.
Get the Olympus housing for it, go to whatever depth you want.
If you want a cheaper housing I have a slightly used Seafrogs you can get.
For stills you will be MUCH happier with the TG-6 than with the GoPro, especially for things up close.

A Go Pro cannot take macro or super macro shots. I have a go pro but bought the TG6 as the go pro I was missing out on so many photos especially of really tiny critters. Also Olympus have a very good free photo editing software and has features lightroom does not offer. This Sea Moth is only maybe 3cm in length the Go Pro cannot get any of the fine detail like this. Sea Horse at 26m depth.

Not everything is macro the lion fish in non macro mode

SEA MOTH CLOSE UP.jpg

SEAHORSE PANGLAO.jpg

LION FISH.JPG

Another thing is the Go Pro also cannot get close up macro video as it loses focus when too close to small things.

This was shot with a TG-1 in a housing @ 80' without any additional lights. I'm not a photographer at all, so this is about as ammeture as it gets I think.

I dream of a TG-6 one day.

I'd say TG-6 if you are interested in macro and are willing to invest in at least one strobe. If you want wide angle with strobes, look for a used Sony RX100 series kit. If you are not going to bother with strobes, then consider a phone housing. Most phones today will beat the pants off a TG in image quality if neither is using strobes. Weefine Smart Housing with pressure sensor also doubles as a dive computer, and it has vacuum test system to prevent leaks.

Back
Top Bottom