Recommendation requested for Kona Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakz2fun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I am going to be on the Big Island for a week in October. I would like to go diving, but please let me explain something. A few years ago, I had gotten caught in a current while diving, I was about 80 feet down. I started hyperventilating, and blacking out. My dive buddy saw me and so did someone from the boat. They pulled me up to the wall so I was out of the current. I did end up finishing the dive. I did not dive the next day, but did get back in the water the day after.

I have been diving since, but am always nervous during the first dive, but then settle down. The last time I was out diving was about 1 1/2 years ago in Roatan.

What I would like to ask is if someone could recommend a group that would be patient with me, maybe help me out some with some suggestions to relax. I do plan on diving in my pool before I go, just to get used to the gear again.

Thank-you, in advance, for any help/suggestions.
JoAnn

Be sure to explain your concerns when making your dive reservations. Some companies offer a private guide, a similar experience to a DSD (discover scuba diving). You will pay a little more but you will get the personal attention you might need. You can also request to do a refresher in the pool. (I think Jack's offers this in their pool). Last, We don't get much of a sweeping current in Kona, at least not on the dive sites. Speak freely to your crew and captain about your needs - wishes - concerns - requests BEFORE you sign up. If they are not sensitive to your needs then find another dive company. This doesn't make them a bad dive company, it just means that they are not well suited for you. My favorite kind of dive customer is one who speaks up, just like you are doing now.

There are a few good operators in Kona, I'd dive with a 6-pack operation as opposed to a large boat, you'll get more personal attention that way. We had a great time diving with Konaquatica in June, nice boat, great owner/staff. We had everything from a divers just certified to someone on a rebreather and everyone had a great time and felt like they got personalized attention.

Rob

diverrob:
There are a few good operators in Kona, I'd dive with a 6-pack operation as opposed to a large boat, you'll get more personal attention that way.

Rob

While 6-pack dive ops are generally awsome, you cant go wrong with Jack's Diving Locker www.jacksdivinglocker.com . They are one of the larger ops on the Big Island, but they should suit your needs perfectly. All dives are guided with two DM's in the water at all times (no more than 6 divers per DM). Their philosophy is diving shallower for longer, so they're perfect if you're intimidated by deep dives. Jack's Diving Locker offers all sorts of training and refresher courses. I'm not sure if Jack's offers this, but some dive shops allow you to pay extra to have your own private DM for a more personalized and safer experience. I also strongly recommend trying the manta ray night dive. It's not the easiest dive you'll ever do (I did it fresh out of certification and had a great time, but there is some surge involved, plus the obvious darkness factor), but after two dozen dives it's still my favorite by far.

Went diving with Steve from Wanna Dive in Kona over Labor Day. I would highly recommend him and his divemaster Bob. They will go with a minimum of 2 divers, so my husband and I had the boat to ourselves! We did 3 tank/3 location dives with 4 1/2 hours of bottom time.. Bob is VERY experienced, has an easygoing personality and is AMAZING at finding critters. I don't think you (or anyone) could go wrong with them! www.wanna-dive-kona.com/

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom