Question Recommendation on first rec light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaliDiver14

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there! I'm looking to ask for my first dive light for Christmas. Figure if I give specifics it would be easiest. Any recommendations for a good light, multiple modes for night dives and to see crevices/ creatures during the day? Can't remember the type I used on my last night dive. I really liked it though, had high, medium or low light. I've also seen others with red light. Not looking for a strobe and hoping to keep this at a reasonable price ($100-$200) with easily either replaceable or rechargeable batteries. If your rec doesn't come with a charger, please let me know how you work with the lights when you dive. Thank you SO much!

Another element to consider is beam angle.
Below 40 degrees and its essentially a spotlight or communication tool.
Up tp 90 and its great for seeing things up to 36 feet away (lumens and visibility dependent).
Ove 90 degrees and its a flood light and you need to be no more than 15 feet away.

I have a 35 degree 4000 lumen canister (battery umbilical cord).

I keep this small light (about the size of a dry erase marker) on a D-ring on my BCD at all times for peeking under ledges and in holes, etc. during day dives, and as backup on night dives (did one impromptu night dive using it and it was adequate): Buy Edge 315 Lumens LED Mini Dive Light Online | Divers Supply

For night dives I add this brighter light, which is not a lot larger, but to me a bit larger than I want on my BCD all the time: Best EDGE DL19 1100 Lumen Rechargable LED Dive Light for sale

Both lights just have on and off modes.

I've been very happy with this combo for recreational dives. I've had them about 3 years now, and they have held up very nicely.

Around 1000 lumens works well during the day, especially with 8-12 degree angles. (There will be additional spillover outside that.) OrcaTorch is popular in the sub-$100 price point, and Mako has a particularly good deal.

A potentially easy upgrade for runtime is to get a good name-brand battery (e.g., Panasonic). Beware any 18650 battery (what many of these lights use) advertising over 3500 mAh capacity.

Quoting myself from earlier threads.

There's a big factory in Shenzhen that turns out tens of thousands of good quality all-metal dive torches that get resold under a bunch of different names. Resellers can specify certain options, but there are only a couple of basic variations. IMO, the basic body you want is the one that uses 3 o-rings, a rechargeable single 18650 battery, and a Cree XM-L2 LED. They are usually advertised as 1000 lumens, although DGX rates their version at a more realistic 600. It's really bright, so much so that I'd look for versions with one or two low power settings.

Price should be around $65 with a charger and battery. Less if you are willing to take a chance on an eBay or AliExpress seller. Personally, I think it's worth the extra $20 or so to buy from someone like Mako or DGX (if you are in the US) so you get actual customer service.

Hi there! I'm looking to ask for my first dive light for Christmas. Figure if I give specifics it would be easiest. Any recommendations for a good light, multiple modes for night dives and to see crevices/ creatures during the day? Can't remember the type I used on my last night dive. I really liked it though, had high, medium or low light. I've also seen others with red light. Not looking for a strobe and hoping to keep this at a reasonable price ($100-$200) with easily either replaceable or rechargeable batteries. If your rec doesn't come with a charger, please let me know how you work with the lights when you dive. Thank you SO much!
I've had great luck with Kraken lights for many years. $129 for 1500 lumens. 3 power levels. Battery charges directly with a standard USB cord (supplied). LMK if you need a place to get them locally.

mako seems to be sold out of that 1000 ln light! I bought that one from them and really love it. It is available from ocratorch themselves - OrcaTorch D550 1000 Lumens Scuba Diving Light with Tail Magnetic Switch . But I would buy it from them thru amazon as its like $30 cheaper! I bought some extra batteries to keep charged, but really they last forever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom