Recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just because someone touches something doesn't mean they are molesting it. If those sharks felt like they were in danger or didn't want to be touched or held, they could very easily swim away with no chance of being caught by any diver.

The underwater world has become too many divers' petting zoo. Anyway you slice it, it comes up selfish.

How do we know this doesn't cause the creatures stress and alter their natural protective mechanisms?

I'm sticking with DATA's attitude.

The underwater world has become too many divers' petting zoo. Anyway you slice it, it comes up selfish.

How do we know this doesn't cause the creatures stress and alter their natural protective mechanisms?

I'm sticking with DATA's attitude.

I'm not all for petting either. But, I've been here 11 years and people have been handling the nurse sharks at Shark Ray Alley the whole time. I would guess you'd see some stress damage on some of the sharks by now if it was harming them. They appear very healthy every time I've been there.
And no, I don't touch them.

This must be where all the hammerheads have gone in Belize.

I'll try to get a picture this week if I can. I was in the local fish market in Dangriga and saw about 30 baby hammerheads being sold. I don't know if they got them by gill net or what, but it was a lot.
The fish were only about 2 feet long.
The good news is, I've seen 8-10 foot hammerheads while out on the reef. Had two come right up in my face on the same day.

Up here in San Pedro I used to see two or three hammerheads a week. I haven't seen one in well over a year. And like you Hank, I have seen fishermen, the "old school" variety, landing considerable numbers of small sharks (several varieties, no hammerheads). As many as twenty in a week. Sharks that will never grow to maturity and produce offspring, sharks that won't be there for divers to see. I do think San Pedro needs to decide whether it wants to attract fishermen or divers, because their activities seem incompatible to me.

Back
Top Bottom