Recommendation for soft Goodman handle dive light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another fan of the OxyCheq Raider. Unlike many other soft Goodman handles, it is easy to switch hands.

I also have a Sola 1200 S/F for recreational night diving, but it's a bit floppy/top-heavy without using the wrist strap... which inhibits switching hands. Its "spot" mode (12 deg) was too wide/dim for good signaling for me in a tech environment. The quoted lumen output is for the flood mode, and the spot mode is less than that. The "Pro" models are better in those respects, but the runtimes aren't that great for the price in my view.

I'm sure your OOG buddy will appreciate you shoving that light in his face along with the regulator you're giving him.
For the amount of times that happens......
He will be more than happy,,

Just grab your reg, so the light is pointing up.

Keep in mind that you’ll need to be able to easily switch the light to the right hand from time to time, such as when checking your SPG or using the rear dump on your wing.
Wouldn't I just keep it on my right hand the whole dive?

The OOG diver you hand a reg to won't be happy when you've blinded him in the middle of all the other things he has going wrong. Waving your light around every time you turn your wrist to look at your computer won't be popular either.

Sure that's what I do,
with computer on LH,
My left hand controls bcd and kidney dump,
No need to remove the light,

Unless you are planning to donate,
Is your buddy really going to wait for you to switch your light? He needs it now, not 10 seconds later,
I do understand that most of this thought process works,
but its usually done without thick gloves,

Old thread I realize, but came here looking for light recommendations and am more intrigued by this concept of switching hands for a light. Given that I don't understand, I am asking for clarification having never used a goodman handle but considering doing so.

1) Let me start there: I borrowed a nice light from a DM to do passageway swim throughs on Vandenberg. The light was an amazing addition to the dive, but I was nervous I would drop it somehow which leads me to believe I would be happier to have it more securely on a wrist. Overkill/over complication for recreation dives like Vandenberg?
2) That said about presumed preference, I also presumed it would be my right wrist. I wear a Descent mk2i on left wrist, with an analog mini spg on a narrow miflex clipped to left chest d ring. I use the left arm to access both of those as necessary. For OOG I fully expect a rent a buddy to rip the reg from my mouth, so I have a 5 ft primary hose and octo on a necklace. I even ask them to do as much when we do our pre-dive planning. With a light on my right wrist I could easily donate with left hand however - if everyone is keeping their cool. I generally use my left rear dump (Hydros Pro has dump on left) during head down descent, and usually have just a burp or two for the first half of the dive that I eventually vent ,and could easily do so with left hand on inflator or ass dump so I don't blind myself, or I could kill the light for a moment to use right hand on right chest. I don't plan on having it lit the whole time and waving it around everywhere anyway.
I like to understand the thinking behind this set up vs that, and understand the accepted Right way, and also the compromises that might be reasonably made for recreational diving. Is this OOG "blind one's buddy" an actual diving faux pas concern that causes people to switch hands back and forth during a dive?

Anyone willing to enlighten me with their experience about a solid solution for recreational swim throughs in terms of power, and mount?

As some have mentioned the OxyCheq's are nice for small "tube" style lights but if you have a true cave canister light this mount does not work with a corded light head.

I have tried a couple system and like the Razor one the best. The UWLD soft handle is not bad also but I like the more secure "glove" feeling of the Razor system also the Razor system is very easy to take the light on and off of and you can put the mounts on other things like your helmet, DPV, etc.

I like to understand the thinking behind this set up vs that, and understand the accepted Right way, and also the compromises that might be reasonably made for recreational diving.
It's not uncommon for people to use the light in their right. (I think it's more likely that you would blind yourself in an airshare.) This does leave the left nicely free to work the hip dump while keeping the light steady. I personally think the left hand light is more from the technical diving considerations (e.g., a DPV is typically run with the right hand on the trigger or right arm has more movement during gas switches). Some other reasons may have become less relevant over time, like illuminating the SPG on the left hip.

Any of the ~1000ish lumen rated, aluminum-handled lights will do nicely for recreational diving, including daytime poking under ledges. A soft-goodman handle (hand mount) will be nice as well. (This one is more easily switched between hands compared to the one available from Mako with the light I linked, but the Mako price is hard to beat.) Tie a boltsnap on it so you can clip it to a chest D-ring when desired.

the left hand light is more from the technical diving considerations (e.g., a DPV is typically run with the right hand on the trigger or right arm has more movement during gas switches)

This is the the piece I was missing. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom