recommendation for Lobster Dive Charter - Keys or Boca

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kicker1866

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I are thinking of coming down during regular season.....maybe Key Largo or Boca Rotan....We've never picked bugs but really wanna get into it. Any suggestions on a good boat that accommodates lobster hunters? Looking for someone that can get us on good spots. I have dove in Boca and recall it is drift diving along a ledge.....I recall lost of bugs under the ledges.....wondering if this might be a better option that the keys.

All thoughts and advice appreciated.

....We've never picked bugs but really wanna get into it.....
It's alot of fun,,and bugs can be found both in the keys and Boca. Just like riding a bike, there is still a learning curve and it's up to you how quickly you want to start stuffing your bag rather than waste time being frustrated and backing up every bug deep into it's hole. If you waste 10 or even 5 minutes on bagging a bug, you won't be happy topside.

Since you are on vacation with a time limit, you really should consider hiring a pro-bug hunter teacher who in just one day will show you how to catch your limit easily. Every dive boat, if you call them in advance has a local pro-hunter that you can hire and can teach you the tricks in one day, for I'm guessing a hundred dollars. You and your wife catch a two day limit of 24 bugs at $15/tail equals little over $300, so it's a pretty good deal to shorten the learning curve and get some hands on, underwater instruction for a day that you'll use the rest of the week's vacation. If you choose Boca, call Conrad at Miss Conduct Charters out of Pompano. He has the teachers and the spots.

In the keys you can easily limit snorkeling on the bayside grass flats.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom