Recommend your mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brendar

New
Reaction score
Planning on getting certified next month and need a mask. I'm not sure which brand to go with or even how to select one. Any info will be helpful. Thanks :)

That's easy. You need one that fits and doesn't leak.

The most important item is the way the skirt fits your face.

See if your SCUBA shop/school will let you try a couple in the pool.

I've got an old ScubaPro tri-view mask that fits perfectly and never leaks and new one (differrent design) that leaks continously. The difference is that the skirt on the new one looks like it's designed to fit some kind of wolf-man, whith a big cutout under the nose, while the old one is relatively flat.

It all depends on what fits your face.

Terry

brendar:
Planning on getting certified next month and need a mask. I'm not sure which brand to go with or even how to select one. Any info will be helpful. Thanks :)

Don't concern yourself with a brand or type of mask. Go to your LDS and tell them that you're looking for a mask. Then try on every mask in the store. Once you find one that fits properly (the store clerk will help you decide that), buy it. If your LDS has a pool, ask if you can try it in the pool before you buy it. Not a totally necessary step, but a good one to take if you can.

The brand doesn't matter as long as it's a scuba diving mask, not a snorkeling one.

Agree with the previous posts; go out and try some as everyone's face is different. FYI, I like my Cressi-Sub Matrix mask. Previous mask was a Mares X-Vision which fit well, but somehow got a crack in the frame.

A good mask is going to cost between $60 and $100, budget for it and buy the one that fits and is comfortable regardless of price. If your mask doesn't fit diving will flat out suck period. As was said before try on every mask in the store and then when you find one that fits don't take one from stock without trying it on as well. Masks can mold differently so two copies of the exact same mask can fit different.

Dave

Ditto. Buy what fits you well, but be prepared to spend a few bucks for a good one.

What they said ^^^^, not go get yourself a Cressi-Sub Big Eye mask........enjoy diving.

there are three main issues to consider:
if you want a clear one (silicone based)
if you want a black one (latex based)
if you want a purge valve;

the silicone vs. latex determines the amount of light you get through the side of the mask; some say black ones are better if you need to focus on something more speciffic (like uw. pictures) and some say silicone ones are distracting for that;

personally i've used both and use a clear one when taking pictures also;

also, if you're claustrofobic or not very confortable in the water get a clear one; the black ones create a tunnel around your vision;

regarding purge valves ... i feel it's just a potential failure point in the mask; a friend of mine has one that's leaking (I'm not sure it's due to the valve - maybe it's just me);

to choose a mask check that:
1. it fits your face; the most common method is to place it on your face, sniff in through your nose (create vacuum inside the mask), then take your hands off it; if the mask drops it means air is getting in and so will water - it doesn't fit
2. you can use your index and thumb to grab your nose easily through the mask (with purge valve masks this can be a bit more difficult;
3. (1.) and (2.) apply if you hold a snorkel in your mouth (the snorkel between the teeth can deform your face).

These three will probably decide if you can use it or have to take it back to the store and change it; besides that, look for favorite color, brand, price and whatever else :05:

brendar:

I have a great mask. It would work perfectly for you, if you were exactly my size and shape.

Here is what you do..... Go to the shop and put the mask on your face with NO STRAP. suck some air out of the mask with your nose and hold a mild suction. Next shake you head from side to side and try and shake it off. If it sticks it fits you well.

Of all those that fit you then compare features and price. Brand names don'r matter.

Features I like:

1) Black skrt, less glare inside the mask, others prefer clear
2) Wide field of view,
3) low interier volume

note that #2 and #3 are at odds with each other but clever desiigns can actually give you both.

In the end only "fit" matters everything else is secondary. But fit should be no problem if you have an average face. those with wide or narow faces will have fewer masks to choose from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom