Recommend your mask!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
What they said ^^^^, not go get yourself a Cressi-Sub Big Eye mask........enjoy diving.

I bough one of those "Cressi-Sub Big Eye masks. It didn't fit, not wide enough. I gave it to my son. Fits him perfectly. It was the first mask I bought. Had I read the advice in this thread I would not have bought it. But it is the perfect mask for him so I didn't loose anything. I'm now on my second Tusa "visulaizer"

Make sure that you also have a reg or snorkel in the your mouth when you try the mask on. That's how you'll be wearing the mask, so it might fit your face differently with or without a reg.

Also, don't suck in too hard when you try them on. It should fit without any leaks with minimal vacuum.

I prefer a mask with less internal volume. I have a Mares Esa that has been driving me crazy lately. Since its bigger, it is hard to clear and always feels like it is pulling up on face & nose.

Some other tricks to getting a good mask fit are after you've put it to your face and checked the seal, close your eyes, relax and FEEL the mask on your face. It's surprising how you can then notice little things like 'it's resting on the bridge of your nose', or 'rides up under your nose', or ' the inner edge of the seal digs into your forehead', etc.

Some people leave the store with a mask they think fits, only to realise these faults after they have enough diving experience that they can finally relax and be forever annoyed.

Another thing I personally like is a wide field of view. Stand in one place while trying several comfortable masks and pay attention to what you can see to the sides and up and down without moving your head. It's amazing how different masks can be. Don't be fooled by multi-windowed masks unless you try these in water. What you see in water can appear to 'jump' as the image moves from one lense to the other and be very distracting to some.

If you are looking to some sort of vision correction, make sure you choose a mask that is compatable with either standard correction or custom lenses.

Finally when you get the right mask and you finish your certification, wear the thing out!

Dennis

Back
Top Bottom