Recommend Charters for Marathon Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to get some recommendations for charters in the Marathon Keys. No cattle boats please.

Thanks,

Tilden's is a good choice in "downtown" Marathon. Tilden also runs the dive op at Hawk's Cay Resort on Duck Key at about MM 60.

Last I dove with Tildens they had some brand new kids driving the boat. They were more concerned with their schedule than they were with the divers. When one of my buddies was getting back on the boat she dropped (rather expensive fin). The boat driver was *****ing about how he had to get back and he didnt know if we had time to retrieve the fin (which was right below the boat).
Also, I had ordered a 30% mix of nitrox when I booked the trip. When we arrived they only had 32 so we were delayed while the corrected the mix. They then criticized us for having to re-mix the nitrox saying we shouldnt mind diving to 1.6ATA. (I specifically ordered the 30% in advance).
Although many folks on SB had recommended Tildens to me, I can't give them a really high review. They did get us to the dive sites and back - which is about all that I expect - but as stated above - their schedule was more important than making sure our dives were satisfactory.

A little more info. would be nice so I know which way to send you. Like where are you staying in Marathon or MM.

I have used Abyss twice and can recommend them based on my experiences. It was a few years ago but I remember the captain as being real friendly and he was willing to go out with only 3 divers (it's a six-pack). They are located at the Holiday Inn on the north end of Marathon.

I agree with those that recommend Abyss. IMO, they are one of the best operators I have used ANYWHERE. Capt Bill, Heidi and JR were awesome, took great care of us and had those little extras that made all the difference. If you haven't booked your trip yet, call them and get their stay and dive package.
While there, go to CABOT's for dinner and to watch the sunset.
C-Dawg

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually have not decided on Marathon or Largo. I had suggestions for Silent World and Conch Republic in the Key Largo area and was looking for Marathon suggestions too.

Any other suggestions for the Key Largo area? This will be 3 days of diving during the week, would like to get a night dive in too.

Hi There, I choose Marathon last yr for a family vacation & diving ( wife said never mix them again :wink: We stayed in Hawk's Cay Blvd, Duck Key and had a great time... Dived with Abyss and it was very laid back/simple sort of diving but that was what I wanted...never more than 6 divers on the boat, usually less and thats why I choose them...Nice boat and nice people.. I got the impression though that there was a more varied diving nearer Key Largo & Key West but it was more sedate and less crowded around Marathon..Also heard Quiescence were very good further North...

http://www.keylargodiving.com/
http://www.keysdirectory.com/abyss/index.html
http://www.hawkscay.com

Tildens looked like a cattle truk affair....!
If u do goto Marathon... chk out the Dolphin centre... its probably the best dive with Dolphin place I've ever seen... www.dolphins.org

Have fun, John.

Back
Top Bottom