Recommend a strobe set for compact camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's a new setup or you're new to shooting or shooting UW, feel free to start with the auto setting. I would also extend the preview time so that you can check the picture on the back of the camera for a little longer. As soon as you think you can improve your pictures by taking more control, start shooting without auto. Once you have it dialed in, lower the preview time.

You should also take a look at the Backscatter Mini strobe with snoot. about the same price as the S2000 but a bit more modern.
Far easier to use here in cold water with gloves.
Bill

The answer to this may be waaay obvious, but has anyone done an underwater comparison of the Inon S2000s versus the Sea & Sea YS-D2s? I ask because I own 2 of the latter and shoot them with an RX100/VA but am considering moving to S2000s for size/weight/travel reasons. I know that the YS-D2s are much, much more powerful, but I have been told by some that, even so, for a compact camera, the S2000s will be fine.

I do love the YS-D2s, as they have allowed me to take some amazing wide-angle shots, like this:

Black Fan.jpeg

I know that the YS-D2s are much, much more powerful, but I have been told by some that, even so, for a compact camera, the S2000s will be fine.

If you're shooting macro exclusively, then S-2000s can be a good solution, although Backscatter MF-1 is better for that. For wide angle though, YS-D2 will win, no contest. Basically, you need to look back and consider how high are you typically dialing the power on your YS-D2s? If you're using the lower end of its adjustment range, then smaller strobes will be fine, especially considering that they're easier to position close to the subject while shooting macro, getting more of their limited output on target; if you frequently dial it up to half power or more - then you need this power and the small strobes will not serve you well. I know a pro photographer who has a pair of Retra Pros with all the bells and whistles, yet almost every time I see him muck diving, his camera has a pair of MF-1s on it, with a snoot hanging from his BCD.

I shoot dual Sea and Sea YS-D2s. You won't outgrow them if/when you move on to an interchangeable lens camera setup. Sealife also has some less expensive strobes that I have used and was happy with. Keep an eye on the marketplace for good, non-flooded used gear.

I've seen all brands on trips for more than 4 decades.

The Sea and Sea YS-D2s along with Inon Z240s were the most reliable I'd say. If size isn't a concern the Ikelite DS125 / 160 /161 family also which produce wonderful light having a circular flash tube of 4800K temperature. Those are too big and unnecessary with compacts especially.

The only thing I don't care for on Sea & Sea strobes is the battery door compared to the Inon design. The Inon is CLEAR and if you lightly lube the o-ring or just the inner lip of the battery door (as the Inon manuals says to) it's almost impossible to flood one.

As to power on compact 1" sensor cameras bumping your ISO to 160, 200 and even 400 works fine with the much smaller Inon S2000 units. Take off the diffusers (I do sometimes) and you get 1/2 stop more power with very little reduction in beam angle. Positioning those little strobes in places bigger units can't fit is simply a joy when diving.

The Inon S2000 is also the same guide number (power rating) of 20, same as their old D2000 and now new D200 physically larger unit. I think the new D200 body identical to the more powerful Inon Z330 was a cost saving making two similar physical strobes at different price points.

I totally confess to being a fanatic on shedding weight and physical size of gear for travel. On far flung trips a pair of the Inon S2000 units also provide back up if anyone else's strobe(s) go down.

I've used Inon S2000 units for all underwater photography including wide angle shooting going on 4 years. I wouldn't discount the tiny Inon S2000 strobes .

99% of people complaining about power is they shoot too far away. No strobe will light really good color beyond 4' or so. You can always bring back one color if doing so but closer is always better. The less water (filtration) light has to travel through the better at least for rich color and detail.

Just one old guy's opinion and I humbly confess to certainly not knowing it all :) LOL.....

David Haas

DF01F420-B180-4D7F-AEFF-53FF6C3DD2E4_1_201_a.jpeg 3F1459BF-34F3-4EE4-8ABD-4040FABEB66F_1_201_a.jpeg F8AD0009-C939-4887-82E9-5A91124ED19B_1_201_a.jpeg 428DED16-C235-4D1E-9E04-A2ACF7AD15EF.jpeg 690D6D06-BF44-4765-9575-68CA4299B01F_1_201_a.jpeg 80228AB7-9B7B-4AB9-AB84-4C4F8233D022_1_201_a.jpeg

99% of people complaining about power is they shoot too far away (!!!!!!!) No strobe will light really good color beyond 4' or so :)

That's debatable. Here are a few shots taken using a pair of Retra Pro strobes with reflectors from ~8-10 feet away, in fairly murky water at that.

k9BYy6f.jpg

ymJlHnj.jpg

CyIlvfA.jpg

The reflectors produce a fairly narrow beam that's got surprising reach and avoids most of the backscatter.

If you're shooting macro exclusively, then S-2000s can be a good solution, although Backscatter MF-1 is better for that. For wide angle though, YS-D2 will win, no contest. Basically, you need to look back and consider how high are you typically dialing the power on your YS-D2s? If you're using the lower end of its adjustment range, then smaller strobes will be fine, especially considering that they're easier to position close to the subject while shooting macro, getting more of their limited output on target; if you frequently dial it up to half power or more - then you need this power and the small strobes will not serve you well. I know a pro photographer who has a pair of Retra Pros with all the bells and whistles, yet almost every time I see him muck diving, his camera has a pair of MF-1s on it, with a snoot hanging from his BCD.

Good point, I do shoot a lot of very wide angle with the strobes pumped all the way up, like this photo I took of a fan forest in Dominica; you can get a sense of perspective from the size of the trumpetfish in the lower left:

Fan Forest.jpeg

Reactions: OTF
I've seen all brands on trips for more than 4 decades.

The Sea and Sea YS-D2s along with Inon Z240s were the most reliable I'd say. If size isn't a concern the Ikelite DS125 / 160 /161 family also which produce wonderful light having a circular flash tube of 4800K temperature. Those are too big and unnecessary with compacts especially.

The only thing I don't care for on Sea & Sea strobes is the battery door compared to the Inon design. The Inon is CLEAR and if you lightly lube the o-ring or just the inner lip of the battery door (as the Inon manuals says to) it's almost impossible to flood one.

As to power on compact 1" sensor cameras bumping your ISO to 160, 200 and even 400 works fine with the much smaller Inon S2000 units. Take off the diffusers (I do sometimes) and you get 1/2 stop more power with very little reduction in beam angle. Positioning those little strobes in places bigger units can't fit is simply a joy when diving.

The Inon S2000 is also the same guide number (power rating) of 20, same as their old D2000 and now new D200 physically larger unit. I think the new D200 body identical to the more powerful Inon Z330 was a cost saving making two similar physical strobes at different price points.

I totally confess to being a fanatic on shedding weight and physical size of gear for travel. On far flung trips a pair of the Inon S2000 units also provide back up if anyone else's strobe(s) go down.

I've used Inon S2000 units for all underwater photography including wide angle shooting going on 4 years. I wouldn't discount the tiny Inon S2000 strobes .

99% of people complaining about power is they shoot too far away (!!!!!!!) No strobe will light really good color beyond 4' or so :)

David Haas

View attachment 646216 View attachment 646218 View attachment 646219 View attachment 646220 View attachment 646221 View attachment 646222

Thanks, I'm also a fanatic about reducing weight and size for travel and that's why I'm considering the S2000s. But I don't think they will produce enough light, even given your shots.

And @hilljo88 thanks, but for travel size/weight reasons, I don't intend to move up to a DSLR etc. For me, that's just too much. I had the a6400 with lenses, both wet and dry, and that was too much hassle for me.

Thanks all. May try to borrow or rent a pair of S2000s to try out IF WE CAN EVER GET BACK IN THE WATER!!!

If you get down to D200 vs S2000 another thing to keep in mind is even though they are both rated GN-20, that's at 110deg for the D200, vs. 80deg for the S2000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom