Recommend a liveaboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Early last year I spent a week on the Blackbeards cruise in the Bahamas and had an excellent time. I am getting a hankering for another week of concentrated diving and was about to sign up for another go with Blackbeards but then I figured I might as well see what other options my Scubaboard peeps might suggest. Blackbeards was great because it was $1K and very accessible from the airport. Just a very nice inexpensive and easy week of diving. I am coming from the US midwest and am wondering what other options for liveaboard are there along these same guidelines? International is not a problem but I'd like to not have multiple long layovers if possible and I'd also like to keep the costs lower since this is just going to be a spur of the moment trip. Thoughts?

Lot of experience around here on all things liveaboard.
The wife and I are doing Aquacat the end of August which I am told will be a blast and top notch in service but it is not the cheapest by far.
Will be really interested which what everyone recommends!

Lot of experience around here on all things liveaboard.
The wife and I are doing Aquacat the end of August which I am told will be a blast and top notch in service but it is not the cheapest by far.
Will be really interested which what everyone recommends!
Aquacat looks great but I'll likely reserve something like that for when the girlfriend finally does a liveaboard with me. I can rough it but she needs a little pampering :)

Sounds like cost is a strong consideration and I doubt you will be able to find another liveaboard that will match Blackbeard's in terms of low cost-- unless you want to come out to California and do some temperate water diving in the Channel Islands: Truth Aquatics | also, take a look at @drrich2 trip report, if you have any serious interest: Truth Aquatics Aug. 2016 Trip Report - California

Agree with Trailboss123 can't beat Truth Aquatics if you want to try California diving. You may also want to look at the Ricio Del Mar for the Sea of Cortez good prices and not to bad to get to. We fly into Phoenix and then take a van to the port in Mexico.

You could get yourself on the mailing lists for Aggressor & Explorer - sometimes there are deals last minute or otherwise, though still not going to approach 1k. The Caribbean Explorer 2 in particular is a less expensive boat that often has specials on top of that, you can sometimes get in the 1.5k range. The relaunched Roatan Aggressor is having specials this summer, but still closer to 2k. All Star (home of Blackbeards and Aquacat) also has Cat Ppalu, again not near 1k but still one of the less expensive boats.

Or maybe you could piece together something on the Fling out of Texas to the Flower Gardens, but they seem to do mostly short trips through dive shops.

I've had good like with several trips on the Agressor boats and there are sometimes killer deals which show up on their site.

I agree that Blackbeards is the least expensive option, especially if you want to stay close to $1000, but if you are looking for better accommodations, better diving, and more dives per week, then I think that the suggestions from @Damselfish were good ones.

If you are traveling alone then you need to be willing to share a cabin with a same sex diver to get the best rate on many liveaboards (but if the boat doesn't sell out they may let you have the cabin to yourself at the cheaper double occupancy rate.) That's not an issue on the dormitory style Blackbeards liveaboards.

Below are some current specials being offered by Explorer and Aggressor. They are more expensive than Blackbeards but better accommodations and better diving IMO (and more dives!) but the airfare may be higher.

Out of these 4 I think that the T&C Explorer offers the best easy access diving. Fabulous walls, lots of sea life and sharks and rays on just about every dive. Also, a liveaboard is the best way to get the best diving in the T&Cs but they are only available in the last 3 quarters of the year because the LOB T&C boats offer whale watching trips early in the year.

The Saba/St. Martin/St. Kitts Explorer is the cheapest and it is very good diving and you will get to visit 3 different Caribbean islands so that's great. I don't think that you would be disappointed.

In my experience, the Red Sea has the best diving among these destinations, but it isn't easy to get there and the airfare may be pricey, and US citizens might not be comfortable traveling to Egypt during these troubled times. On the other hand, it is a wonderful opportunity to visit a fascinating country with spectacular diving - and you may not get another chance for a long, long time.

Roatan is my least favorite out of these 4 options, but it still good diving and it does give you the opportunity to dive Roatan, Utila, and other sites (I've only dived Roatan). Also, this special introductory price is likely to increase soon, so it may be a good idea to take advantage while it is available.

If you are willing to consider a land-based trip, Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan is again offering their "buy one get one free" promotion - which I think is the same as "you don't have to pay a single supplement if you are traveling alone" promotion, see the link below.

The prices start near $1000 and include diving and all meals, but be aware that there will be a 19% tax on top of the resort price, also some of the rooms don't include air conditioning and you may have to pay a bit more to keep cool. Airfare to Roatan can be pricey but Cayman Airways recently started offering flights to Roatan so that may help the cause.

Buy One Get One Free | Anthony's Key Resort | Roatan | Honduras

Just food for thought, I hope you find a great, economical, dive vacation!

explorerspecials.jpg
aggressorspecials.jpg

Last edited:
My son and I did the Caribbean Explorer II last year and had a blast. (I still owe a trip report but haven't had time to put together my photos and videos yet. :() As Kathy shows in her post, they're having a 30th anniversary sale which makes it less than $1500 per person (normally $2K). They offer 27 dives total on the trip (5 days @ 5 dives/day + 2 dives the last day) and we did 25 of them. A great way to get in a lot of good diving in a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom