Recommend a decent LED "back up" or daytime use light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zimm17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Recommend a back up light?

I dive a backplate and wing. I keep 2 C-cell backup lights strapped to the chest harness under my arms (hogarthian style). My halcyon lights still work but are dim halogen and take alkaline batteries. What's a good LED light of a similar size that I can use as a back up, or for looking into stuff during the daytime when I leave the canister light at home?

I like the Dive Gear Express 600 for that: DGX 600 Handheld Light Kit. There are a number of others in this "backup light" category that have been discussed on ScubaBoard, and you should be able to find those threads. Some cave diver types still love the 2 (or 3) C-cell backup lights, though. I don't know how old your Halcyons are, but if money is burning a hole in your wallet, Halcyon makes the Scout in an LED version these days: Extreme Exposure

+1 for DGX600. Great backup for night diving, and excellent for daytime diving, wrecks, caverns, nooks, cranny's, etc.

+1 on DGX 600. It replaced my old rec. 'primary', and is not much bigger than my old Light Monkey 2W rec. 'secondary', now maybe replaced by the DGX300. The DGX600 beam is not very tight for any signaling. Both DGX are rechargeable.

Echo the DGX 600. The DRIS lights are pretty alright too.

I accidenly bought the DGX video light when I first purchased a light but have decided to keep it as a backup light. I will be getting the DGX 600 DGX PUSH Handheld Light Kit - Spot Beam
This one is a push button which I deem better than the twist lights at the same price I like them better

I have a pair of Orcatorch D520. Twist on, triple o ring, comes with 2 batterys and a dual charger from Amazon for $75. Or $65 with a single battery from LP. And extra o-rings and a throw away lanyard .

20180708_155027.jpg

I think the size is perfect, one of the most compact 18650 lights I have seen that are this bright. I put "small" boltsnaps from DGX on them. I have not had any issues yet with the twist on. I have purposely been turning them on and off a ton under water and have not had any signs of leakage after about 30 dives.

Color temp is very neutral, I would call it 5k. The beam is a little wider then most spot lights. I actually prefer that as most spots I have seen have a blinding hot spot right in the middle which never seemed nice to me. The core spot zone is about 10" from 6' away out of the water.

20180708_155311_HDR.jpg

Great all around light. After reading a bunch i hear nothing but good things about thier customer service also. Very happy with my decision.

Last edited:
This... Inexpensive, well made. Mine has taken a beating and continues to work. But it's not 860 lumens as listed.
Archon V10S

I have a pair of Orcatorch D520. Twist on, triple o ring, comes with 2 batterys and a dual charger from Amazon for $75. Or $65 with a single battery from LP. And extra o-rings and a throw away lanyard .
The trim head size is nice for a backup.

With 3 o-rings, any reason they say to turn on before descending? Is this a version of 'do not take the head off underwater by mistake'? How close are the 'light off under pressure' and 'head unscrewed' points?
20160808052525_18469.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom