Recomendations for Noob, Camera Tray/ Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I got my self a Gopro Hero 2 a few months back with a Blurfix lens and have been going crazy taking videos on my dives and then extracting stills from them. i never thought the results from this little camera would be soooooo good, and seeing how some people here on the board set up there gopro's. i want to get a tray and some lights to improve the results from camera. ive just been using the head mount and grabbing the head mount with my hand to do close ups

i unfortunately don't know to much about underwater camera accessorizes and would like some advice about what tray and lights to get for the gopro.

in terms of a tray, i think i would prefer one that has 2 handles, and i really dont know anything about lights. i would like to try and stick to lower end lights that will get the job done. a lot of lights seem REALLY PRICE. i also dont know any thing about arms for the rig and whether i need them.

im looking to do some research on this first and then get the items in 2 or 3 months after i recover from my latest equipment buying spree. my hoped for budget is $300

also.... does anyone know of a way to do macro with the Gopro? i get blur when i go in to close.... this is probably an over expectation..

After reading alot on this board and others, I am going to get Blurfix's "The Tray". Looks awesome. I cant help you on lights, no experience with them. Atleast not yet. :) I do know you can use them with this tray though.
Tray

The SRP Tray is a great option for GoPro cameras, Ive been using a test version of it for a bit and it works very well.

This can easily work with most underwater lights mounted on the handles and I will be trying a couple of different lighting setups with the tray and GoPros fairly soon. Might be a few weeks away still as I will be away for a bit but when I get back I'm planning a little diving road trip and will get a chance to test out all the gear then.

Here is Auapro HD's setup with the tray, GoPro, and Sola lights along with his main stills camera. I only use GoPro's atm so have them mounted on the top of the tray but some of my tests have had up to 4 GoPro's mounted to this trya.

I want to play too!!!!
118461d1331683086-show-me-your-mount-32181205.jpg

Attachments

• 118461d1331683086t-show-me-your-mount-32181205.jpg
    118461d1331683086t-show-me-your-mount-32181205.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 771
After reading alot on this board and others, I am going to get Blurfix's "The Tray". Looks awesome. I cant help you on lights, no experience with them. Atleast not yet. :) I do know you can use them with this tray though.
Tray

i really hope u can with that price tag...

Not sure about suggestions yet as I haven't tried any yet :D

I'm looking for lights more for night dives and wrecks, caves rather then using them on regular daylight dives where a filter is good enough. When down fairly deep though the lights will be a big advantage once your low on natural light. Overall though for daylight dives even with the best light setup costing $1000s will only give you about 4 feet of light stronger then the natural light so this will only help on some setup shots and wont be good for those things you cant get too close too.

Going for night dives or into overhangs with little or no natural light I think is where the lights are a great benefit but in shallower dives with good light a filter will do a pretty good job still I think.

I made my own try with 1" aluminum flatbar and a peice of 2" aluminum flatbar from Home Depot $10.00
Bicycle contoured handlebar grips from Walmart $7.00
I'm working on purchasing 2 LED lights to mount on it also.

Attachments

• IMG_0079.jpg
    IMG_0079.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 973
I made my own try with 1" aluminum flatbar and a peice of 2" aluminum flatbar from Home Depot $10.00
Bicycle contoured handlebar grips from Walmart $7.00
I'm working on purchasing 2 LED lights to mount on it also.

:D did that to, it was way cheaper. and work GREAT. mine is polycarbonate and golds gym jump rope handles.

2012-03-21221220.jpg

2012-03-21221157.jpg

im playing around with color filters right know but, i know for deeper dives i need lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom