Recognize these Voit Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Something that I inherited from my grandfather:

copyofdsc00556.jpg

I'm pretty lost with trying to find more info about them. A GIS of "voit fins" only come up with the traditional UDT duck feet fins I've seen, so I was wondering if anyone knew more about these one? I'm curious if they were a newer model to the UDT duck feet fin design and any other interesting tidbit of info.

Also found this nice thread over at VDH about voit sporting goods: Vintage Double Hose • View topic - When Was Voit's Last Year?

So am I right to assume these were made pre-1982?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

With out better picture and more complete description is is difficult to ID.

You may want to drop them by Scuba 2000 in big T for positive ID and history./

sdm
Many thanks Dr. Miller, I've never been to Scuba 2000, but I am interested to check them out.

Currently taking more pics...

ok, more pics. Please excuse my girlfriend's homework. :)

the front of the fin:
dsc00632z.jpg

Back of the fin:
copyofdsc00635.jpg

Close up:
copyofdsc00634.jpg

What it says:

81 - 1029 -4

FLOATING
MADE IN HUNGARY

42 - 43
SIZE - 8-9

DIN 7876-a
FL 255
FB. 95

copyofdsc00633.jpg

I'm guessing the 81 in the top number indicates the date it was made?...

Hey, I had a blue pair of those back in 1967...OOPS-I am aging myself..vaguely remember a viking type ship image on them...

Strange! I checked the 1956-1980 catalogs and did not find them. Maybe 81-82.

Hey, I had a blue pair of those back in 1967...OOPS-I am aging myself..vaguely remember a viking type ship image on them...

Those were Voit Vikings, and nothing like these.

What it says:

81 - 1029 -4

FLOATING
MADE IN HUNGARY

42 - 43
SIZE - 8-9

DIN 7876-a
FL 255
FB. 95

As a vintage equipment snorkeller, let me say how delighted I am to have something vintage other than breathing equipment to discuss in this forum!

The DIN 7876-a inscription I can identify because I have a copy of German Standard (DIN="Deutsches Institut für Normung") 7876 of October 1980. The title of the Standard in German is "Tauchzubehör; Schwimmflossen, Maße, Anforderungen und Prüfung", with "Diving accessories for skin divers; Flippers, dimensions, requirements and testing" as the official English translation. The Standard is mainly about the sizing of swim fins, specifying which foot length should go with which foot width. Two other countries have similar Standards, Russia and Malaysia, for fins. The Malaysian Standard MS 974 is partially based on the German Standard DIN 7876. The "a" appended to the Standard number 7876 identifies the fin as being "Form A", a full-foot design, or "Schuhflosse" (shoe fin) as it is called in German, while "Form B" serves to identify a heelstrap fin (German: Fersenbandflosse).

So I conclude from the data on the back of the fins that they date from October 1980 or later.

A postcript. I've just had a rummage among my vintage fin collection and located a pair of Dolfino Marina Pro rubber full-foot fins which I purchased via eBay. I haven't used them as they're too narrow-fitting, despite being my size in terms of foot length. They look identical to yours, same concave fin tips, same wavy heel pattern. On the reverse side I have a similar series of inscriptions:

MADE IN ITALY
FLOATING

81-1035-81

46 - 48
SIZE-11-13

DIN 7876-A
FL. 275
FB. 105

I'm guessing that the FL and FB refer to Fußlänge (foot length) and Fußbreite (foot width) respectively. Ironically, DIN 7876-A states that for foot length 275 mm, the corresponding foot width should be 110-115 mm, so my fins don't qualify for DIN 7876-A endorsement. No wonder I find the fins too narrow-fitting! In the case of your fins, foot length and width match the German Standard, which prescribes that a foot length of 255 mm should go with a foot width of 95-105 mm.

Interesting that your fins are made in Hungary, while mine are made in Italy. I expect the manufacturers of Dolfino Marina fins had their products made wherever it was easiest or cheapest to do so. In the 1980s, Hungary was still in the communist bloc of East European countries and would likely have had lower labour costs than Italy. Full foot rubber fins are still manufactured in Hungary nowadays:
uszony1.jpg

Wow, thanks very much for all the info everyone. David, thanks for that detailed background on the inscription - I appreciate the time you took to tell me that info.

Seems like these fins were not common or popular...Unfortunately they are 5 sizes too small for me and there is a small tear in the foot pocket. I'm either looking to give them away locally to someone who will make use of them or maybe a dive shop/musuem who would want it for display.

Thanks again for all the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom