Reco GoPro mounting & use to newish diver (<20 dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. New to forum. In my quick search I haven't found this exact question, so...

Just got a GoPro for a couple non-scuba things, but since I'm going on a dive trip to Cozumel this coming week (Wed 5/23!) I think I'll take it and try it out underwater. We're also going to do a day of diving cenotes, so thought it might be good there too.

I went out and got the GoPro flat lens rig that just came out (clear lens not red filtered).

But it doesn't come in a wrist-mount, which I was kind of looking forward to as my attachment of choice (keeping my hands free and can align with torch easy enough).

Other choices I see are:
  • Affixing rig to the torch (hmmm...do I trust adhesive attachment underwater and bouncing around with my torch...I don't think so). Also, doesn't look like my torch really has a good spot to affix flat or curves part anyway.
  • Go with Head Strap mount, but I've heard several folks say the video can tend to be jittery because the strap will always contain some amount of play. Heard a couple others not like head mount because can't see buttons or see what mode it's in, etc.
  • Buy/make some fancy rig. Problems: I'm leaving this Tuesday! And more importantly, I only have 19 dives in, so while I've become very good with bouyancy control, air use, doing fly-throughs, etc, everything is still far from automatic for me --- so simple is good.
  • Put it on a leash/retractor attached to BCD and don't sweat that it's dangling/bouncing around (and when shooting, do you worry about the lens cover floating in pic?). Attached that way, I imagine I'll be checking that's still there and well secured alot. I'm a newbie and still don't trust things dangling off me. :)
  • Nobody just holds the bloody thing danging from a wrist strap, right?

What would folks recommend I use for mounting and safe use?

Thanks!

Make your own! That's half the fun anyways. I'm actually in the process of making a good comfortable wrist strap to be used while spearfishing with a pole spear so you get video down the shaft and so it can capture the release. Haven't really broken water on it yet so I can really give too many ideas but it shouldn't be hard!

Best of luck on it.

If your not comfortable with diving head mounting is a good option, this way you just turn it on and let it record without needing to think about the camera at all whilst underwater.

With head mounts though you need to make a chin strap or put your hood over the headband or else it will fall off. For head mounting I use 720P60 which gives best results dealing with your heads motion, the strap itself is pretty solid though if tightened properly and not using any backpack attachments with your gopro as these add more weight and make it move around more. If you set your angle properly the results can be pretty cool recording the dive almost as you see it with no need to pay any attention to operating the camera itself.

Here is a basic video I filmed a while back with the original gopro and eyeofmine housing with a clear lens. This shows the negative part of the headband where bubbles may get into the fov if your not moving like in sections of this dive, this can be avoided too by using the extendable arms and setting the camera ahead of your mask and in front of the bubbles.

[video=youtube;T3jZFzpG3ts]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3jZFzpG3ts[/video]

On a regular dive the bubbles may not be as much of an issue as you don't tend to be stationary as much as we were here for obvious reasons :)

The GoPro wrist strap is the only attachment I don't have and from all reports by those that have them its not ideal due to the angle its set at. If you want a wrist mount your best to make your own as many people have done. Other options are a basic mono-pod or tray setup but your best to try a hands free method until you are more comfortable with your dive skills.

Here is my home made fore-arm mount, you could knock the basics up in an hour or two - I made mine a bit fancy.
IMG_8259.jpgIMG_8271.jpg

More details here

GoProUser.freeforums.org &bull; View topic - Scuba Diving Arm Mount

I tried the headstrap mount for the first of my dives but I did not like it at all, it crowded my head too much and I kept feeling it slip around all the time. I move my head around too much so the headstrap video was really shaky and hard to watch. I ended up just holding it in my hand for the rest of the dive trip with a simple camera lanyard around my wrist. I record at 720p60 to smooth out the shaking of the camera. Now I am looking to get a pistol grip mount for the camera for added stability.

Also, the Cyan filter is AWESOME! You get so much color popping out in the video. However if you are at 15ft or shallower, everything will have a reddish/orange hue to it. It is best for 20ft and deeper!

I use the go pro chest strap. Works great. I just turn it on and let it go.

This video i made with the headstrap. I was diving with my girlfriend who isn't a expirienced diver, so I wanted to have my hands free. Just for the case. Sure, some parts where shaky, but when you remember yourself, that the camera is on, you just have to turn yourself slowly. Think the footage isnt't that bad. Settings are Normal 1080p with 127° FOV

[video=vimeo;42408528]http://vimeo.com/42408528[/video]

The shaky parts i cut out :) But in the normal footage you can see when i moved my head quickly. But as you can see, headstrap mounted footage is possible

I have a couple of different mounts...the wristmount and a GoPole. Most commonly I wear the wristmount, I have it on for almost all dives...problem with that is when I handle it with drysuit gloves I hear a squeak on the playback from the rubber gloves on the casing. I edit it out after, but...well you know.

When I am out on a dive that I specifically want to video or take pictures I use my GoPole with a bungie that I can attach to my BCD. No squeak in the playback, but I end up with another dangly thing.

Drawbacks to my system...purchase of two flat lenses and purchase of two mounts. Positives to the system...some choice and flexibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom