Rechargeable AAs in a UK Light Cannon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogdrjohn

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but I recently bought a set of Sanyo Enelope AA rechargeable batteries at Costco. They came in a set of 8 batteries + C and D cell sleeves. If I can find the sleeves and buy another set I could have the 8 C cell (size) batteries I need for the Light Cannon, but of course with less voltage (8x1.25v vs. 8x1.5v with Alkalines) and less storage capacity, but if a spare set was kept charged each set would maybe last through a 1 hour night dive. Anyone try this or anything like it? Costco is so good about returns that I may just try it, but I will not be diving for a while and you can't just turn the Light Cannon and let it run steadily unless it is underwater, so how do I test it - put it in a bathtub full of water?
thanks
John

Would likely work. I haven't used that light, but have used AA NiMH rechargeables in C-size adapters with some success. Depending on the way the light "fits" the "adapted" batteries, it may or may not work. Sometimes the adapted AA's aren't quite the same size and shape as C's. Brightness or run time hasn't been an issue, although alkalines would likely be slightly brighter (at least initially) due to the higher voltage.

Try it, and make sure you've got a backup light if testing on a night dive.

Another consideration: if the light floods, and the batteries are destroyed, alkalines are a lot cheaper to replace. You may want to try alkalines in the C adapters first to see if the size works before testing more valuable NiMH's.

I don't think trying alkaline cells in the adapters will tell you whether or not the NiMH cells will work because the voltage and amp/hours are different.

I use NiMH C cells in my UK Light Cannon and they work OK.

I'll bet you could try it in the tub and it would be OK.

Maybe a dumb question but I recently bought a set of Sanyo Enelope AA rechargeable batteries at Costco. They came in a set of 8 batteries + C and D cell sleeves. If I can find the sleeves and buy another set I could have the 8 C cell (size) batteries I need for the Light Cannon, but of course with less voltage (8x1.25v vs. 8x1.5v with Alkalines) and less storage capacity, but if a spare set was kept charged each set would maybe last through a 1 hour night dive. Anyone try this or anything like it? Costco is so good about returns that I may just try it, but I will not be diving for a while and you can't just turn the Light Cannon and let it run steadily unless it is underwater, so how do I test it - put it in a bathtub full of water?
thanks
John
It should work. I've used NiMh AA batteries in C sleeves in an old Ikelike light and it works fine. The voltage is a little less so the light may be slightly less bright, and the burn time will be less than with C cells, but that's not important if you charge the batteries before diving.

The only caveat is that some sleeves are slightly wider than regular C cells, and if the battery compartment is tight they may not fit.

Adam

...some sleeves are slightly wider than regular C cells, and if the battery compartment is tight they may not fit...

What the???

If it was me, I'd just go ahead and buy all 8 C cells instead of buying more AA cells and adapters. But then maybe I use my light more often than you do. These things ain't cheap, and if you can use them for more than one thing, why not? I just wonder if the C cells will give significantly more burn time than the AAs in adapters. But as long as you get enough for two dives and a decent reserve, what more do you need?

I'll be interested to hear the results of your test, if you do it.

Why wouldn't you buy eight of these 5amp C-cells and two of these Vanson Speedy boxes and you can run the light for five hours and be ready to go again after six hours of recharging??

All of this delivered is about $90 and the charger works on AAA through D-size batteries.

thanks
John
The sleeve may not be the same size as 8 C cells. If it is too long it may work on the surface or in the bath tub, but the extra length may prevent the light from completely sealing causing it to flood at depth. Not only would this damage the batteries but could also destroy a very expensive bulb.

How much will this cost? You can get the UK rechargeable battery pack for less than $80.00. It has a burn time of several hours.

The sleeve may not be the same size as 8 C cells. If it is too long it may work on the surface or in the bath tub, but the extra length may prevent the light from completely sealing causing it to flood at depth. Not only would this damage the batteries but could also destroy a very expensive bulb.

How much will this cost? You can get the UK rechargeable battery pack for less than $80.00. It has a burn time of several hours.

Length is not an issue because the AA and C cells are the same length and the sleeve itself is shorter. Some brands of sleeves are a little wider and in some lights the wider sleeve may not fit.
Ultralast sleeves available on Ebay are the same width as C cells. The main advantage of using AA cells is for travel, as you only need to take one type of cell, and a small charger.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom