Rechargeable AA batteries in dive lights?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petronius

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This may be a dumb question, but is there any reason not to use rechargeable (NiMH) AA batteries in backup lights? How about NiMH C cells?

I have a bunch of these laying around, and I'd like to not buy (and dispose of) a pile of alkaline batteries if I can avoid it...

I've been using 2500 mAh Ni-MH AA batteries in my dive lights and camera for a couple of years. Works great, saves money and it's nice not having to throw away lots of used batteries. I have used 4-5 brands and the only issue I have come across is 1 brand was slightly wider than a standard alkaline, making it a tight fit in one of my lights. I see no reason to go back to non-rechargeable batteries.

Thanks! I figured that was the case (I use them in my GPS's and digital cameras on land), but it's nice to have confirmation...

I've been using 2500 mAh Ni-MH AA batteries in my dive lights and camera for a couple of years. Works great, saves money and it's nice not having to throw away lots of used batteries. I have used 4-5 brands and the only issue I have come across is 1 brand was slightly wider than a standard alkaline, making it a tight fit in one of my lights. I see no reason to go back to non-rechargeable batteries.

You wouldn't by any chance remember which brand didn't fit, would you? I've been contemplating the switch to rechargeable batteries for a little while and am looking for a good brand to try. Stumbling across the bad one would be a bummer...

Thanks

I have used them for years without a problem. You MIGHT have a problem with them on Bonaire, their power is a little different and plays havoc with rechargeables.

No problems in your primary divelight, matter of fact, that's what I use, but for your backup, I'd consider alkelines, or if your light can be adapted to use them, Lithiums.

NiMh batteries and NiCd batteries will both self discharge over time, it'd suck to have your primary fail, then have your back be dead to because you haven't changed the batteries in a while.

I use these -
NiMH Rechargeable Cell: AA Size, 1.2V 2600mAh -Button Top (1Pc) - MH-AA2600APZ

They seem to work in just about everything.

Jake

You wouldn't by any chance remember which brand didn't fit, would you? I've been contemplating the switch to rechargeable batteries for a little while and am looking for a good brand to try. Stumbling across the bad one would be a bummer...

Thanks

The brand is PowerBase, and they are still fine...just noticeably a tighter fit than the rest, I have to tap my light lightly get them to slide out, not so with the other brands. Right now I am using Powerizer and Energizer NiMH batteries and all is well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom