Recent water temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerk85

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Everyone,

I recently visited Grand Cayman for the first time just a couple weeks ago, staying at Morritts on the East End and diving with the on-site op. My non-diving wife and I both enjoyed our stay and the diving was quite nice. I did venture over to seven mile beach for a dive on the Kittiwake as well.

I was surprised though by the water temperature, which my computer read consistently as 88F. It seemed unusually warm. I've dived Cozumel and Bonaire in years past at the same time of year and can't recall seeing sea temps above 84 or 85. Is 88 typical this time of year?

I may be a little paranoid as I just watched "Chasing Coral" on Netflix - which was quite depressing, though beautifully shot. I'm just concerned that rising sea temperatures may start killing off our favorite reefs sooner than I had imagined possible. I should say though that all the reefs I saw on this trip looked very healthy.

I dove West Bay/SMB yesterday and the water was 88 at the surface and 86 at depth. The dive op said this was some of the warmest water they can remember. Took my daughter on her first (discovery) dive and she went in a bathing suit and was fine. I wore my good old 5mm full suit that I always wear down here year round, and it was a bit toasty. I have low tolerance for cold but could easily have used a 3mm shorty. Hope it does not signal a problem for the reefs.

Was there much coral bleaching?

Mine had 87 2 days ago, and my computer log from last year shows the same temp this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom