Recent experience with UBS Dive Center in BVI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

romito

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone used UBS in the BVI recently? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

My wife and I dove with them in April. We were on a bareboat and we did the rendezvous thing. The main thing that attracted us was the personalized setting. We were doing our AOW and did not want to be with other divers. All of our diving was done with Tony on his 20ft RIB. Essentially, we rented his boat for the days (1/2 days) and he picked us up at a designated site. Tony was a nice guy, a little dry, but we were taking a course, and the operation as a whole was quite flexible. He only took us to the best sites given the conditions and our locations. The advantage was his RIB, we could get anywhere fairly quickly. I do know he has two other boats, so there are options.

Note: Tony allowed us to have my father-in-law tag along on the first couple of dives and demonstrated more patience with him than I did. F.I.L. had terrible skills and acted independantly despite just completing a refresher course before our trip. BUT, Tony did advise us that the F.I.L. should not go on our Deep and Wreak Dives, so he does show sound judgement. He did take him on our last dive.

The major advantage of going with UBS was that Tony let us determine our profile. He evaluated our abilities and let us do more and more every dive as our confidence grew.

Good Luck

Sean

Sean C:
My wife and I dove with them in April. We were on a bareboat and we did the rendezvous thing. The main thing that attracted us was the personalized setting. We were doing our AOW and did not want to be with other divers. All of our diving was done with Tony on his 20ft RIB. Essentially, we rented his boat for the days (1/2 days) and he picked us up at a designated site. Tony was a nice guy, a little dry, but we were taking a course, and the operation as a whole was quite flexible. He only took us to the best sites given the conditions and our locations. The advantage was his RIB, we could get anywhere fairly quickly. I do know he has two other boats, so there are options.

Note: Tony allowed us to have my father-in-law tag along on the first couple of dives and demonstrated more patience with him than I did. F.I.L. had terrible skills and acted independantly despite just completing a refresher course before our trip. BUT, Tony did advise us that the F.I.L. should not go on our Deep and Wreak Dives, so he does show sound judgement. He did take him on our last dive.

The major advantage of going with UBS was that Tony let us determine our profile. He evaluated our abilities and let us do more and more every dive as our confidence grew.

Good Luck

Sean

Thanks, Sean,

That was exactly the kind of info I was looking for. My wife and I are also doing our AOWs and were interested in UBS for the same reasons as you.

We don't have the F.I.L. challenge (mine is no longer "with us" and her's is 3000 miles away and 85 years old...) so we should be able to avoid that part of your experience!

We really appreciate you help.

Rick

I was looking at their website and they look like a nice operation that will pick divers up on some of the other islands such as Virgin Gorda. It looks like if you have 2 or more divers you get the boat to yourself for the day for a fairly good price ($100 pp for 3 people for the entire day). The only thing I didn't like was that the RIB boats they use don't seem to carry 02 on board. (at least it was not listed as part of the boat's safety equipment). The larger fiberglass boat they show on the website lists 02 as part of its safety equipment. Although one hopes that one will never have to make use of it, it seems like that should be standard equipment on any dive boat these days. Hopefully, it is merely an omission/oversight on their web page and they do have O2 on the RIBs. Anyone know?

I would confirm with them directly, things might have changed since I dove with them. I am not prepared to make a blanket statement regarding this matter.

Cheers

Sean

P.S. One thing to keep in mind on the RIB is they are small, fast and kinda fun. Gear organization is very important.

undefined
ScubaTexas:
I was looking at their website and they look like a nice operation that will pick divers up on some of the other islands such as Virgin Gorda. It looks like if you have 2 or more divers you get the boat to yourself for the day for a fairly good price ($100 pp for 3 people for the entire day). The only thing I didn't like was that the RIB boats they use don't seem to carry 02 on board. (at least it was not listed as part of the boat's safety equipment). The larger fiberglass boat they show on the website lists 02 as part of its safety equipment. Although one hopes that one will never have to make use of it, it seems like that should be standard equipment on any dive boat these days. Hopefully, it is merely an omission/oversight on their web page and they do have O2 on the RIBs. Anyone know?

This is Kate Brunn owner and operator of UBS Dive Center in the BVI. I am also married to Tony, the dry guy!!! ( I am never going to let that one go - tease him incessantly)

We do have full first aid and 02 kits on all of our 3 vessels, including our smallest boat the RIB.

Thanks for pointing out that it wasn't listed on our web site I will have that changed ASAP.

Thanks for the nice comments, we do appreciate all feed back so we can learn and grow from it. At the end of the day it is your dive trip and we want you to have a great safe time.

Come up slowly and never hold your breath!

Kathryn Brunn
owner Operator
UBS Dive Center
BVI
mail@scuabbvi.com

We're diving with UBS Dive Center in December. <VBG> Both Kathryn and Tony have been phenomenal in their customer service both via e-mail and by telephone. I didn't think we would be able to dive the Rhone since our time in port is short (we're on a cruise ship), but Kathryn and Tony assured me that it was not only doable, but easily doable. Now I can't wait to go!

I'll certainly post a review when we return.

DiveMe:
We're diving with UBS Dive Center in December. <VBG> Both Kathryn and Tony have been phenomenal in their customer service both via e-mail and by telephone. I didn't think we would be able to dive the Rhone since our time in port is short (we're on a cruise ship), but Kathryn and Tony assured me that it was not only doable, but easily doable. Now I can't wait to go!

I'll certainly post a review when we return.

If you get to go to the Rhone, take a camera. When we went with Tony he gave us a great tour and we even swam through the wreak. Our only regret was that we did not take our camera, there are some fantastic photo opp's. Tony will even take the shots for you.

Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom