Recent Experience with Barotrauma and Tinnitus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaQuestFX

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on Scuba Board and I wanted to describe a recent diving accident that may have ended my diving career. I have been diving sporadically over a number of years and recently decided to take an Advanced Diver course through SSI, a Science Diver course through Texas State University at Aquarena, and to finally purchase all of my own diving equipment to prepare for an upcoming trip to Puerto Rico.

The two-week Advanced Diver training course went well with the exception of my primary light going out on a night dive, but the real trouble started during the Science Diver training at Aquarena. Aquarena is a spring fed lake in San Marcos with a year round water temperature of 70F and a maximum depth of 25 feet. This was colder than the water I was used to diving in during the training classes (80F-85F) so in addition to my 3 mm full wet suit I added an additional 3 mm hooded vest for extra exposure protection.

The first dive of the course involves going through an obstacle course consisting of hoops, descending on targets at a depth of 17ft, etc. During this dive my maximum depth was 17 feet and the dive profile is attached as a jpg. Around five minuets into the dive my hood started filling up with air giving me a cone head and throwing off my buoyancy which was making it really hard to perform the obstacle course. I decided to remove my hood at depth and continue the dive. The rest of the dive was uneventful and I was able to pass the first part of the science dive course.

Upon surfacing my left ear felt strange. There was no pain, no dizziness, but it felt like I had water in my ear and my hearing was only at 30% in my left ear. My right ear was fine, but I noticed that a strange ringing. However, with the noise of the crickets and other insects around the lake it wasn’t really bothersome. I told my dive instructor who was leading the class and she said that she had never experience ringing in her ears before, so I thought it was probably from slapping my ears with the hood while I was removing my hood.

I completed another dive that evening this time with a maximum depth of 23 feet. There were no problems equalizing and no pain in my ears. However, when I got out of the water again, my ears were still ringing and I still could not hear out of my left hear at more that 30%. I tried to pull on my ear lobes to release the water and a number of other methods to equalize (please realize it is very easy for me to equalize normally and I also don’t typically get water in my ears). Then I started to get nervous since I was barely able hear my hand touching the outside of my ear which seemed to be very unnerving. At this time, I was still attributing my condition to water in my ears.

I went home and put some ear wash in my ears to get the water out. I used 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol, then I went to bed, but when I got up in the morning my ears were ringing and they were ringing at a louder tone. I also still had some deafness in my left ear, but at this time it was around 50%. I still had one more dive I needed to complete for my science diver certification so I decided to call DAN and get an opinion on my condition. The person I spoke with said that my “ears did not like the cold water” and that I should have my ears checked out by a doctor at my earliest connivance, but that I was in not in any life threatening danger. I asked the doctor at DAN if I could dive again to finish my last dive and he said that it shouldn’t be a problem since I wasn’t having any pain or any problem equalizing.

I made my last dive of the class, which was a 47 minute dive at 21 feet. I still had no problems equalizing or any pain. I did notice however that while I was underwater the ringing in my ears stopped. I surface and still no change in my condition I was still hearing at 50% and there was still ringing in my ears. I again got home in the evening and made dinner, but I was having a hard time adjusting to my ears since it was really hard to hear high tones in my left ear and understand what was on the TV. I then decided to get on the computer and check out SCUBA Board to find out if anyone else had had these problems. I found a number of posts on the subject, but I had only gone down to 17 ft when my problems started. I read a post by swinchen and realized this was not going away on its own and that time was of the essence. I again called DAN and discussed my symptoms and this time the person said that I defiantly had barotrauma and tinnitus. I was instructed to go to the ER immediately (mind you this was at 10:00pm on Sunday night).

I was admitted to the ER and they did a full workup on me. I was lucky to have gone to such a great hospital since the nurse that checked me in, the doctor who evaluated me, and the nurse that gave me my medicine were all active SCUBA divers and very familiar with this condition. The doctor inspected my ears and said that the eardrum looked fine and there was no fluid in my inner ear, but that he wanted to start me on a steroid using a tapered dose and place me on an antibiotic just incase I had some fluid that he couldn’t see in my middle ear. He also said that using my homemade ear wash after I dove was one of the best things I could have done for my ears. He also recommended that I see an ENT doctor today to check my hearing and determine if there was any damage to my inner ear.

I woke up this morning and I noticed my hearing was much better and I was hearing at about 80-90%. I made an appointment to visit a ENT and he did a number of hearing tests on me which included a Basic Audiometry, Impedance, and Acoustic Reflex. He said that there was no fluid in my inner ear and that he did not have any predictions on what would happen next, but to never dive again since I could induce further injury. The doctor is not familiar with diver ear injuries, but he said that my ear should heal and to stay on the steroids. The doctor also said the result of the hearing test showed that my hearing had returned to normal. This was fantastic news for me, but he said that there was no way to determine if my hearing would stay normal or if I would continue to loose hearing. The doctor also said that he was not sure if I could fly to Puerto Rico in 12 days so I may have to cancel my trip.

Does this sound like sound medical advice or should I try to see another ENT that has more diver medical experience. Can you recommend anyone in the Austin, TX area?

Thanks for your interest,

Matt

Attachments

• First Dive Profile.JPG
    First Dive Profile.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,331
If you had no fluid in the middle ear, it's hard to say you had significant barotrauma. Being told never to dive again seems unduly harsh to me. I would recommend a visit to a diving-savvy ENT doc. DAN should be able to help you with a referral.

I'm not a doctor (and certainly not a dive-md), however, I think common sense would dictate to see a dive-knowledgable ENT.

I'd have a tough time being told to not make my vacation flight 12 days away, much less being told to never dive again, when the impairment improvement was total, and the prognosis was made by a non-dive knowledgable doc...

P.S. I use Swimmer's Ear (primarily alcohol) after every dive... It seems to help me on a number of levels...

The main reason I did not go to a dive ENT in the first place is that DAN and the local dive medicine doctor said that there were none in Austin. I called DAN this morning and they said the closest dive ENT is 3 hours away in Dallas. DAN also agreed that this doctor’s prognosis was unusually harsh and that I should be able to make my flight and possibly make a full recovery. DAN didn’t think I needed to see another ENT immediately, but that I should finish my steroids and then if symptoms worsen consider driving the 3 hours to see a dive ENT. Things have remained constant the last 24 hours, but I am now starting to get some soreness in my left ear.

I would agree with the DAN person with whom you spoke. If you are making a full recovery, there is no reason to say you shouldn't dive again. However, it might be well worth your while to watch THIS video, and see if you can come up with a reason why this happened to you, and a method to prevent it from occurring again.

You might also enjoy THIS piece that I wrote about ear problems in divers. There is tremendous confusion about what kinds of ear problems ear drops will prevent, or treat, and I was trying to help sort that out. Barotrauma occurs DURING the dive, and symptoms are present immediately afterward, although they can worsen over the first 24 hours. Otitis externa, or swimmer's ear, is almost never immediately apparent after a dive, and can take several days to show symptoms.

Lynne, thanks for that post... Very informative (both links), and applicable. They should probably be required viewing for any diving candidate (or certified diver, for that matter).

Hi..

Glad that your hearing is back to normal!

I have one general comment, since I tend to answer a lot of these types of questions. The FIRST thing that should be done in any of these situations is to get a full hearing test. Now I understand that this is not always practical overseas or on a weekend, but the point is that there are two very different types of hearing loss which have very little to do with each other, and have completely different implications for treatment and recovery. They have been discussed frequently here. One is sensorineural hearing loss ("nerve" hearing loss, which is usually permanent and related to leaks or DCI in the inner ear), and conductive hearing loss (which is usually temporary and related to fluid or pressure changes in the middle ear, or sometimes from wax or swelling in the outer ear canal).

Long discussions of the symptoms and their progression can occasionally be helpful, but not nearly as much as an audiogram. We wouldn't treat high blood pressure without taking the blood pressure...

In any case, the ENT doctor you saw, while perhaps not so experienced in dive medicine, and certainly very conservative (by telling you not to dive again), is not necessarily far off the mark. You had a significant, noticeable hearing loss with no evidence of middle ear problems (no difficulty equalizing, no pain, no middle ear fluid on exam). This suggests a transient (unusual!) sensorineural hearing loss, which may sometimes be seen with an inner ear leak or even inner ear DCI - remember, your ringing stopped at depth!

I can't really give you specific advice over the Internet, but you might want to explore this with DAN or an ENT doc with diving experience (I don't know anyone in Austin, but you could ask DAN). The best thing would be to get an audiogram when you were having the symptoms, or perhaps just a tuning fork test (which can differentiate conductive and sensorineural hearing loss even on a dive boat!). Steroids can help with both sensorineural and conductive hearing loss through different mechanisms. Ear wash really has no role in the management of middle or inner disease, but of course different processes can contribute to the symptoms, so you might have helped by cleaning out some wax or other debris...

Anyway, it sounds like you have put a lot into your diving, and you might want to take this to the next level..

Best,

Mike

However, it might be well worth your while to watch THIS video, and see if you can come up with a reason why this happened to you, and a method to prevent it from occurring again.

You might also enjoy THIS piece that I wrote about ear problems in divers.

Thanks TSandM,

The video by Dr. Kay was very helpful to understand barrotrauma and how to avoid its wrath. I really think they should show this video during all OW classes to teach students how to properly equalize and explain the symptoms of barrotrauma. After reading all these articles, it was obvious that I had barrotrauma after the first dive. If I had known what the symptoms were I would have stopped diving and gone straight to a doctor.

Thanks,

Matt

You had a significant, noticeable hearing loss with no evidence of middle ear problems (no difficulty equalizing, no pain, no middle ear fluid on exam). This suggests a transient (unusual!) sensorineural hearing loss, which may sometimes be seen with an inner ear leak or even inner ear DCI - remember, your ringing stopped at depth!

Hi doctormike,

Can you elaborate on the significance of the ringing stopping at depth? It was a strange sensation since at depth my ears felt fine. It was only after I surfaced that the symptoms of barrotrauma and tinnitus returned.

Thanks,

Matt

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. Last week was really busy for me since I had to keep missing work to go to all my doctor appointments. On Wednesday of last week I started getting a sharp pain in my left ear that was waking me up at night, so I decided to see another ENT. This ENT was recommended by the ER doctor (who is a diver). I had the same hearing tests as before with the last doctor, and everything checked out normal. During the examination this doctor really took the time to look at my condition and give me a though examination. He said that my sinuses were very swollen, looked up my nose and said I was a -4 (I have no idea what that means), but then he sprayed some Afrin in my nose and my sinuses really started to open up and I could easily breath through my nose.

This is my first summer in Texas and the doctor thinks that something is currently giving me allergies. He asked me to equalize in the office and everything was so swollen in my head that I could not get any air moving through my eustation tubes. I have never had allergies before, but this would explain why I would have had a reverse block upon surfacing causing barrotrauma. The doctor prescribed some flownaise and some special antibiotics to reduce the swelling in my sinuses. He wants me to take them for 10 weeks and then have a CAT scan so he can see the condition of my sinuses.

Despite all the problems with my sinuses, the ENT doctor said my ears looked great and I could continue to dive provided that I can equalize. I am still not sure if I want to get back in the water if I will be suffering with allergies. I have been taking generic Claritin, but it doesn’t seem to be doing much.

Thanks,

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom