Recent events

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......I think folks that the time delays are going to be longer and obviously the security in Canada and the US will be tightened severly. This makes me more confident in flying, not afraid. Folks, if we buckle under and stop flying and acting in our normal fashion , the bastards have mission acomplished. I appreciate that nothing will ever be the same again, however.

I also think folks that Natash is right, the fares for awhile will be very cheap. Lets us this to our advantage and prove a point, democracy cannot be beaten.

Butch :peace:

I too have had some of the same concerns already mentioned, I have tickets to fly to Key West the first weekend of October. My trip there was not just for the pleasure of diving but to gather my mother's personal belongings as best as I can. She now resides in a personal care/assisted living home for alzhimers patients in my town. I had planned while there to take time and dive as well. Now I am having mixed emotions. I don't want to buckle in to these terroists and make them successful in scaring me into hiding. Yet on the other hand, this trip can be postponed and done at a more settled time. I don't want my family to be concerned and worried while I am flying. The world has really changed at a lightning speed for us all and we need to pray for resolution and strength to overcome these stressful times.

As for what I am going to do, I am not sure. I am having lunch with my buddy today to make that decision as she was going with me to help.

Bottoms Up...Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

We decided that back to normalcy was the best bet. Corsair and I were to go to Ohio this weekend for a Renaissance faire (he was to perform). We got to the airport early. Asside from the long line to check our baggage in, there was really no wait. Everyone who worked at D/FW was very polite and obviously trying to move things smoothly as possible. We were to be flying on American Airlines. The plane made it and the pilots made it, but the flight attendants did a no show. Everyone at the gate was appologetic and we got our luggage back without any problem. Even though we didn't make it, I was quite pleased with how smoothly the new rules ran and was doubly pleased with how patient the passengers were regarding everything (I tend to run cynical, so I was REALLY impressed by this).
Keep trying to fly, folks. It's the only way to prove we aren't gonna be bullied.

Seawolf

Seawolf,
Interesting story. Thanks for sharing it.

Cindy,
Let us know what you decide.
Like I said, I am flying the first weekend in October with my whole family. I'll be in Cozumel, the Bahamas, Grand Cayman, and Playa Del Carmen, via Florida. I also have tons of clients traveling to different destinations, the whole month of October. No one has cancelled. As long as nothing else happens between now and then, I think things will get back to "normal" as much as possible.
I can tell you the over night fax machine sent us tons of cruise specials. So anyone looking for a last minute fall cruise, this is the time.
:sunny:

Natasha,

My dive buddy and I both feel the flight is not a real necessity at this time and Key West can always be a future dive for us. We, atleast me, are going to look into the dive trip with our dive shop to the Bahamas the first weekend in November. This is a liveaboard trip, that we would drive to West Palm Beach and board the boat there. We discussed all the options on our going to Key West and we are willing to accept credit to another time from the tickets or refund if possible. I am sure that there will be planes flying safely, but since this is not a real necessity of a trip we may be able to free up our seats for someone in real need to travel. I understand that there will be reductions in the numbers of flights so those who travel for business will really need these seats.

Only problem now is getting through to Expedia.com where I purchased these tickets is impossible. They are only taking calls from people holding tickets within the next 48 hours.

Bottoms Up...Bubbles Up!!!!
Cindy

I plan on flying home for Christmas, and I sure hope that things have been sped up at the airports by then. I dropped a friend off the other day, and the line for checkin was out the doors, and quite a way down the sidewalk. He said that in half an hour, the length of the line TRIPLED. It is getting to the point where it may be faster to drive, take the train or maybe even canoe:D in order to get there faster.

I just recently did the zip tie thing, and that will sure be a pain now. It has always given me faith though when I walk through the metal detector, and my watch does not set the thing off. It is a big stainless steel thing, which probably has as much metal as a knife blade.

ODDIVER and I will still be on that plane early November to Honduras. Unless things drastically change for the worse we are still planning our dive getaway. By then I know we will need it for many reasons. I am sure that that first time stepping onto the plan will be uneasy, but I want to show all the airline personal who have been doing it since airtravel resumed, that I trust they are doing all they can to provide me with a safe trip to my destination. It is hard right now to do even everyday things, but as we take little steps out of our new comfort zones perhaps it will get easier. I for one will now go and strap on my running shoes and enjoy the sun that has risen once again.

Laine

You have to do what makes you feel safe and comfortable, but I can assure you there is an abundance of seating on most if not all flights. There's no need to free up seats for other travelers. In fact, there's not many other travelers. We are safer flying now than we were before this happened. A terrorist is going to have a much harder time taking over or even getting on a plane now than before. We can't give in to fear. If the airline industry folds, it will cripple this nation's economy, putting all of our jobs at risk, not just airline jobs. My folks had planned(before this happened) to fly to Boston to visit my sister this next weekend. They are still going. My wife and I are now looking at maybe flying to NYC soon for a weekend trip basically to inject a little money into the airline industry and into the NYC economy. We pretty much spent our vacation allowance on our trip to Belize, but I figure thats what credit cards are for. I've always wanted to see NYC. I was kind of thinking that this isn't the best time to go, but then I figured that this IS the best time to go. They need us now. I believe they are fixing to open up the sites I would like to see(empire state building, statue of liberty, etc., museums like the Guggenheim and others are open, ... and there's no trouble getting into broadway shows now) so it would be worthwhile for us. It's my patriotic duty to vacation... now that's my kind of patriotisim! :)

p.s.

and besides, if I'm not mistaken, the Leisure Pro headquarters and store are in NYC. I just might have to stock up on some scuba goodies!

Zagnut,
I agree with you 100%. My husband has never been to Manhattan, and I worked there for two years,(I'll be his tour guide) so we also will go, and do all the stuff you mentioned, to help the New York people in our own way.
It's a great city. Everything you mentioned is worth doing. And we are going to get tickets to see "Music Man" on Broadway while we are there.
76 trombones ...
:sunny:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom