Recent Egypt and Liveaboard visits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jennilee913

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello community!

We have a rebooked trip on a live aboard, out of Sharm, from last March. What an f-ing year 2020 was.

Our boat is for the end of March 2021, and we plan to spend the week after traveling Egypt. Flights and hotels not booked yet.

Wondering what it's like there now. Have you travelled and dived recently? Did you feel safe? My partner and I are both fully COVID vaccinated, but still a bit hesitant about crowds. But also don't want to give up the opportunity to visit when it's less crowded and the Red Sea has had a break from too humans for a year.

Love to hear bout your recent experiences!

Not a recent live aboard experience, but information you might be interested in.

our 2020 liveaboard was cancelled and rebooked for late July 2021. We have been in contact with the safari company and can relate the following.

Currently, the vessels are in Covid phase 1. This means no sharing of cabins with non-same residence divers. So, the boat may be less crowded. If anyone on the boat is leaving directly from the liveaboard back to their home, they may stop in port prior to the end of the trip to allow them to get their pcr test. It is likely that your itinerary may change slightly and that you may lose a couple of dives.

On board the vessel, there are a few changes as well. You may have to bring your own towel, etc. There is no dispenser only bottled water. You have to wear a mask unless you are in your cabin. Anyone refuses to wear a mask, they turn off the aircon or heat and open the windows.

There is a possibility that the safari boats go to phase 2 in March whatever that is.

Hello community!

We have a rebooked trip on a live aboard, out of Sharm, from last March. What an f-ing year 2020 was.

Our boat is for the end of March 2021, and we plan to spend the week after traveling Egypt. Flights and hotels not booked yet.

Wondering what it's like there now. Have you travelled and dived recently? Did you feel safe? My partner and I are both fully COVID vaccinated, but still a bit hesitant about crowds. But also don't want to give up the opportunity to visit when it's less crowded and the Red Sea has had a break from too humans for a year.

Love to hear bout your recent experiences!

I lived in Egypt for two years. Been to most of the best dive sites. Can make recommendations for live aboards/shore sites/hotels pretty much anywhere in the Red Sea.

Egypt is probably one of the safest places to travel for foreigners on the planet. The police/army presence can be unnerving for those not used to it, but Egyptians (even the police) like foreigners in general. They even like Americans, (lucky me) which is tricky in the Middle East these days.

The COVID situation is... if you've been vaccinated, that's good. Outside of Cairo, in public, you would never know there was a pandemic. Masks are rare and while there are rules, none are scrupulously enforced. The dive resorts are pretty good, especially in Sharm and along the mainland coast, but in the surrounding cities and towns, no one wears a mask and vaccination had not yet begun when I left about 4 weeks ago.

I would not recommend taking a bus or other public transportation if you are COVID skittish.

Most people now have to fly to Cairo and then Sharm. Most countries have suspended direct to Sharm flights. I like Egypt Air from JFK. The prices are usually decent and the service is good.

I can make more specific recommendations if you wish,

I've been to Sharm in August and then again Sharm and Cairo in December 2020/Jan 2021. No problem whatsoever.
If you're reluctant to travel even after being vaccinated I'm not sure what else could reassure you. In resorts none of the tourists wore masks and I doubt this will change.

Haven't seen a soul coughing there in 12+19 days.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom