Recent Accident Now Having Medical Concern

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adrisen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone, on Wed Aug 3, 05 I was involved in a diving accident. I was 45 feet and had gear trouble after being down for 16 min. I ended up surfacing in about 15 seconds. I had a headache but though nothing of it. I hooked back up with my buddy and our group and considered our dive. That was a stupid idea. We descended again and within a few min I again began to have difficulty and the next thing I rememberd I was at the surface really quick, again we were between 40-45 feet. When I surfaced I had a horrible headache and was nusuasa. as I headed in to shore I was dizzy. I never said anything to my buddy, Another stupid mistake. It took me a few min to get into shore, keeping this to myself I I gathered my gear and packed it in the car. I had the Instructor sign my log bog for the course that I was working on and headed home. Now really beginning to feel crappy, pain in my shoulders, numbenss and tingling in my hands and arms, slight chest pain and a raging headache, I continued to drive home. get home unpack the car, yet I had to do it slowly because I was so dizzy I thought I was going to fall over. I get in to the shower and well something just does not seem right. After talking to a friend who is a paramedic he decides that I need to go se a doctor. This dive took place at 9PM and at 1 am I am heading to Downtown Toronto for help. At 4:30 in the morning I am in the hyperbaric chamber for 6 hours for treatment.

So you now know my story here is the question, ever since the treatment I have developed a tremor in my arms, now it comes and goes but it can be really bad. Had anyone been in the same sitution, or know anyone and what was the outcome. I am really having difficulty finding any information. The treating doctor feels it will pass. How long do I have to wait before I can dive again I have found conflicting information.

Any suggestions.

Ashley

I would contact DAN and speak to a hyperbaric physician.

Take the advice in the previous message and call DAN @ 919 684-8111

The only thing I would add is to not wait any longer.

Terry

adrisen:
Hi everyone, on Wed Aug 3, 05 I was involved in a diving accident. I was 45 feet and had gear trouble after being down for 16 min. I ended up surfacing in about 15 seconds. I had a headache but though nothing of it. I hooked back up with my buddy and our group and considered our dive. That was a stupid idea. We descended again and within a few min I again began to have difficulty and the next thing I rememberd I was at the surface really quick, again we were between 40-45
Ashley

Call DAN. DCI may cause permanent nerve damage. This may pass, or it may not. I still have a “sensation” in my foot from DCI in 2001 and most likely always will.

I am seein a neurologist tomorrow morning, the physician from the hospital arranged it for me in a hurry.

Pasley are you still diving?

adrisen:
I am seein a neurologist tomorrow morning, the physician from the hospital arranged it for me in a hurry.

Pasley are you still diving?
Call DAN before you see the doctor, give them the name of the doctor you’re seeing, and tell the doctor you’ve spoken to DAN and have him call them if he has ANY questions or is not experienced with DCI. If he has never dealt with DCI before, get another doctor recommendation from DAN.

I grew up in a family of neurosurgeons and radiologists who all dove. They were constantly getting frustrated by their fellow doctors that knew absolutely nothing about DCI.

Bill51 the neurologist is familiar with DCI, he cam reccommened from the hyperbaric team at the hospital, he has been involved with them for many years

Bill51:
I grew up in a family of neurosurgeons and radiologists who all dove. They were constantly getting frustrated by their fellow doctors that knew absolutely nothing about DCI.
This is exactly why more people should find a dive doctor in their area. Thanks for the info Bill51.
Ashley, I'm so sorry to hear your story but greatly appreciate you sharing it with us. I hope you a speedy recovery.
Michelle

Any news?? How are you feeling now and have you had proper treatments??

Would it be OK to ask what problem you had and did it make you shoot to the surface. Eventhough you seemed not to do a saftety stop the speed at which you hit the surface seems to be the cause. I don't mean to get too nosy but I am very curious to what the problem was requiring an immediated ascent twice. Thats definitly bends territory.

It seems to me by reading your ascent was unexpected as if you had a stuck BC inflator Since you conotate you were surprised you ended up at the surface.

I hope you have a full recovery and can dive again.

You take care of yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom