Reccomencations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tomerud

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to go on a liveaboard in the Philippines in Tubataha this April. I'd like to hear a comparison between Tubataha and the second-best place to dive in the Philippines, perhaps Apo Reef or Malapascua. Also, how does it compare to liveaboards in Thailand, since it's much cheaper there? Thank you

Personal opinion only.
The second best is Southern Letye.
Tubattaha is miles away from the nearest port while Similan can be reached by speed boat(day trip) eg. Khao Lak. Fuel is expensive.
All major diving destinations are different in many ways.
I have been to both places several times, the only difference is getting there. An extra domestic transfer is required for Tubattaha unless on the transition period.

You can get a similar experience to Tubataha on a day trip in the Maldives and perhaps (I haven't been but have been told) Palau. I just got back from a trip that started in Dauin/Apo and ended in Malapascua/Gato. To oversimplify it, do you want to get close to Threshers? They are incredibly shy, saw a thresher about 100' away in the Maldives, and started heading for it, probably still 90' away which was when the thresher noticed us coming and darted away not to be seen again. Malapascua is the best place on earth to get close to threshers, one got about two meters from my camera. With Malapascua, you can see tigers, mandarin fish, and snorkel with baby blacktip reef sharks. Reliably diving CLOSE to Threshers is exclusive to Malapascua and you have extremely high odds you will see Mandarin fish and baby blacktips

Back
Top Bottom