Recall Notice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lost Yooper

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I just recieved this recall notice. I haven't confirmed it, but the source should be reliable.

Mike

SAFETY OFFICES: PLEASE MAKE WIDEST DISTRIBUTION OF THIS MESSAGE TO LOCAL DIVING ELEMENTS AND ACTIVITIES (IN-HOUSE AND CONTRACTOR):

1. This office has received a recall notice published by the US Navy concerning the subject BCD and it follows in its entirety.

2. There have been two recently reported incidents of buoyancy compensator over-pressurization valves sticking in the open position. A product recall has recently been announced by Custom Buoyancy INC. for over pressurization valves used in Buoyancy Compensators made under the following name brands

a. International Divers INC (IDI)
b. Diving Unlimited International (DUI)
c. Ocean Management Systems
d. Steam Machines

3. The recall includes date codes from October 2000 through June 2001. Commands with suspect equipment are required to call the manufacturer of the over pressurization valve, Custom Buoyancy Inc. at (866) 790-5099. They will ask for the serial number which should be stamped onto the instruction label which should be sewn onto the product. The first two characters of the serial number reference the brand name, the next two digits reference the year of manufacture, and the last three digits are model specific. That should help commands determine whether or not their equipment is affected, but calling Custom Buoyancy Inc. is highly recommended if applicability is suspected. If the query of the serial number identifies a valve in question, discontinue use of the buoyancy compensator until the valve is replaced by the manufacturer. More information on this product recall can be found on their website: www.custombuoyancy.com.

4. Organizations that have any of the BCDs in question Para 2 above should cease operations with those items and make contact with the valve manufacturer as indicated above for disposition.

5. If you have questions please email me. Frank W. Trent, HQUSACE Safety Office, (202) 761-8600, FAX: (202) 761-1369

Did your notice include a date that it was issued?

I see OMS being listed as one of the manufacturers, but I thought that something like this for OMS had already been announced. (could be wrong though)

Hey Mike,

It was sent from Frank Trent today, March 11.

Mike

I called them because my bc was in that range, IDI nekton 2000 manufactured june 2001, and they said it was ok. They said that if it was manufactured in june it was ok. Those manufactured before June were the ones affected. Thanks for the info, always better safe than sorry.

Later, Hawk.

For those that know more about this than me compare what Yooper posted above to this info on OMS's website? Is this the same recall notice or different?

What makes me think this is the same is the info Hawk just posted about about manufactured on/before June 2001.

I've been hearing that a recall has been in place for quite a while, but I certainly hadn't heard about it. I don't know if this is a new or not.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom