Rec Vs. Technical???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it as the 130 rule. I figured that's what you meant.

The ratios are generally accepted to be the amount of deco time to the amount of bottom time. Hence, a 1:1 ratio on a dive with 40 minutes bottom time would call for 40 minutes deco. 10 minutes deco would be a much different ratio, 1:4.

The way I think of it at for 30m dives (which is a majority of my dives), and the reason I say 1:1 is, quite simply, easy for me to remember. I know that whatever extra time over 30 minutes I spend on the bottom, I'm spending that same amount of time at 6 (a 1:1 ratio). I am well aware that once you get past 40m ratio deco works differently where as bottom time=deco time for a given depth, and is a true 1:1 ratio, that can then be adjusted for depth and time accordingly (ie shallower dive=less deco). Hope that makes a bit more sense.

Super deep or super long is not the point, imho. It's having the right gear, right training, and right attitude to do dives the have the potential to kill you or worse if you screw it up.

Something you can practice during your nominal non-deco dives is something called a Minimum Deco ascent. This consists of 30 second stops interspersed with 30 second 10ft ascents. For example, ascend to 30 ft, wait 30 seconds, then take 30 seconds to ascend to 20 ft, wait another 30 seconds and so on. This is done in lieu of the typical 3 minute stop at 15 ft. This practice will help you develop the buoyancy control necessary for holding deco stops.

Your first twinset doesn't need to be a giant pair of LP 104s or HP 130s. I quite like a twinset of old LP steel 72s. In fact for most reasonable entry level deco dives, a set of HP 100s are fine. Go easy on your back until you get used to the extra weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Something you can practice during your nominal non-deco dives is something called a Minimum Deco ascent. This consists of 30 second stops interspersed with 30 second 10ft ascents. For example, ascend to 30 ft, wait 30 seconds, then take 30 seconds to ascend to 20 ft, wait another 30 seconds and so on. This is done in lieu of the typical 3 minute stop at 15 ft. This practice will help you develop the buoyancy control necessary for holding deco stops.

Your first twinset doesn't need to be a giant pair of LP 104s or HP 130s. I quite like a twinset of old LP steel 72s. In fact for most reasonable entry level deco dives, a set of HP 100s are fine. Go easy on your back until you get used to the extra weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the 30/30 suggestion looks like a great drill. Noted on first duals... I was thinking lp80-100 to start.

Just noting your tag - "been diving since 1996 looking to go pro currently a DM candidate..."

You may also want to temper your attitude if you are thinking you would like to make a career out of this working with people - don't quit your day job anytime soon.

Just noting your tag - "been diving since 1996 looking to go pro currently a DM candidate..."

You may also want to temper your attitude if you are thinking you would like to make a career out of this working with people - don't quit your day job anytime soon.

i am in sales and have very good people skills in my day job...no attitude here just calling them as I see them.... My customers and friends appreciate my honesty. The point is it is about the question not about you or me...

Then stop being so defensive and realize that no one is doing anything but trying to help. No one is preaching. They are simply trying to let you know what you need to know.

As far as the thoughts about whether tech is something you want to pursue or not, there are tons of articles online about decompression diving, theory and there are programs available to help you run some scenarios and simulated dives that will let you know what you'd be looking for as far as run times and deco obligation. Download one of them and play with it, and you can run some of the dives you're wanting to do and see what is required, and you can play with the gas mixes to see how to optimize your diving.

Then stop being so defensive and realize that no one is doing anything but trying to help. No one is preaching. They are simply trying to let you know what you need to know.

As far as the thoughts about whether tech is something you want to pursue or not, there are tons of articles online about decompression diving, theory and there are programs available to help you run some scenarios and simulated dives that will let you know what you'd be looking for as far as run times and deco obligation. Download one of them and play with it, and you can run some of the dives you're wanting to do and see what is required, and you can play with the gas mixes to see how to optimize your diving.

yes I could spend hours and hours researching something I will prober lay not understand the lingo and abbreviations .... Or I can post a question online and look for divers that love to dive and are encouraging willing to help...

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

Anyone that says your over your head get some instruction... To someone that is asking the question that the answer may be don't bother... Why spend at least $1000 in gear plus good instruction to find out they are not interested...

yes I could spend hours and hours researching something I will prober lay not understand the lingo and abbreviations .... Or I can post a question online and look for divers that love to dive and are encouraging willing to help...

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 11:28 PM ----------

Anyone that says your over your head get some instruction... To someone that is asking the question that the answer may be don't bother... Why spend at least $1000 in gear plus good instruction to find out they are not interested...

You're probably being intentionally obtuse here, so I'll just let you think you're being persecuted.

I'm sure there is an instructor around who can teach you an Intro to Tech course and rent you gear, and you'll be out under $1000. You never know if you're truly going to enjoy something until you try it, no matter how much help you get on the internet.

Just as an example, when I got back into diving after a long hiatus, I told my instructor that I had no desire to go deeper than 50 or 60 ft. TOPS...and would never hit 100 FSW. I got kind of irritated when he laughed at me (however polite he tried to be, he still laughed!). I get it now, since he & I hit 150' on our last trip to Bonaire, and for the first time I got to actually feel what narcosis felt like. I look back at that first conversation and now I laugh. Off the NC coast, there are almost no dives worth doing more than once that are 50' or less.

I have talked to a couple tech divers, a tech instructor and multiple dive shops... Well I agree you will not know if you will like it or not till you try it, however you can find out if it something you want to try or if it is not for me right now.

IF you read the posts you would see that my plan is to continue NON deco dives before perusing Tec. I feel for ME I need to get more comfortable diving dry before I try to extend my bottom time.

I like diving wet and do not get cold because of positive people that posted here I realized that during inactive times like deco stops I will not produce as much body heat and will likely get cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom