Rec rebreather deaths occur at ~x10 the rate of deaths among open-circuit divers.+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It just worked for me.

Thanks, it keeps timing out on me. That's why I provided an alternative link to the full text article in my post just prior to emoreira's.

Regards,

DocV

METHODS: Rebreather fatalities between 1998 and 2010 were extracted from the Deeplife rebreather mortality database
(my emphasis)

I think you might find some people have a problem with the base data.

Or the number of units in population based on the RBW website.

I'd be curious what the numbers are for cave & deep wreck diving on open circuit 15-20 years ago, back when a majority of the dives were done on air. I will hazard to say that these incidents have much more to do with the types of dives vs the actual units themselves...

Redundant 'bail out' equipment only works if a diver is conscious. According to what I've read, a significant percentage of rebreather fatalities involve an extremely rapid loss of consciousness. I agree that this article, though structured in a manner suggesting a scientific approach, is superficial. In addition, the redundant bail out equipment approach is mentioned without referencing the blackout issue.

If you read the entire article that was release about a month ago, and you have even the slightest brain power, you can draw your own conclusions about the "scientific" approach of this article. Do a search on any of the technical forums and the consensus is that this report is a joke with so much bs in the data collection and so much first person "experience" by the writer that we pretty much discount the entire article. The writer actually makes comments like, "In my experience" blah blah blah. At any rate, if you've ever taken a course on statistical analysis or ever written any kind of research paper, you'll quickly catch that this was a poorly written piece of junk.
Thank you !!!!!.....Rebreathers are no more or less 'dangerous' than singles, doubles, mixed gas or cave diving etc....Proper training, maturity and a heavy dose of common sense !!!!!.......

Well, all I can say is that it's a very good thing the major scuba agencies aren't fast-tracking inexperienced instructors to teach rec CCR and marketing those courses to the masses...

Phew... that'd be terrible..

It's terrible when greed and laziness have a child.

flots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom