Rec or Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hear you.... I started with some "hand-me-down" gear that a buddy had sitting in his shed... I thought "cool I can dive for cheap"....

Now I shudder (and stop) anytime I start adding up all the gear that's on me whenever I dive.. it's all used, all as inexpensive deals as I could find, and I'm still into the $1000's on each and every dive.... and I don't even have all the bells and whistles everyone else has!! I couldn't hold a candle to some of you guys:)
I’ve got $4100 in drysuit, $2K in two Perdix, $600 in two transmitters, $935 in new can light, $170 in two backup lights. $900 in heated vest. $250ish Kubi glove system. Recently had to get a new SM rig when the Hollis got stolen. New DR Nomad XT is so much better. At least I got a nice deal on that from being a good customer.

4.6k drysuit
1.5k can light
3 wings for my halycon bpw
Hollis bpw on order
3 working regs with 4th on order
Backup lights
2 undergarments
Lots of tanks of course
Lots of other little stuff

And a partridge in a peace tree.

And if you're married to your tech-diving buddy, multiply those totals by two. I have basically bought two of everything.

The minus side of dating or marrying a diver. They want it to, and they know how much it cost. Plus side always got a buddy.

And if you're married to your tech-diving buddy, multiply those totals by two. I have basically bought two of everything.
It’s easier to carry spares for your save a dive kit, I guess?

It’s easier to carry spares for your save a dive kit, I guess?
Yep. THREE identical wings, for example. Also, the regs we use for rec diving are identical to our cave regs.

I'll bite with my cheap-ish gear (thrifty, less expensive, used?)

Pretty much all used;
regs for doubles
drysuit
drysuit mods (diy p valve and dry rings)
doubles
doubles wing
perdix ai
transmitter
hood
mask
Hollis F1's
DSS backplate (was sooooo stupid for getting that in the beginning)
misc lights, webbing, strobe, bolt snaps, reels, spools, etc... all generic or used
undergarments

$3700 every time I dive with just what's on me.... doesn't hold a candle to you all, I feel like I've done pretty well being thrifty and I still feel sick thinking about it.

That’s the Shearwater marketing, there is nothing wrong with Suunto computers. I’ve just bought my 5th Suunto (EON Steel Black).
Huh? I haven't seen anything about any other brand of dive computer in shearwater's marketing. On the other hand, there's loads of information on the net from a variety of sources discussing the topic of why suunto is a poor choice.

The only marketing you typically see bashing someone/something comes from lawyers and politicians (usually also lawyers).

The minus side of dating or marrying a diver. They want it to, and they know how much it cost. Plus side always got a buddy.
I hear you and my son is also a dive buddy so everything times three!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom