Rec or Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s the Shearwater marketing, there is nothing wrong with Suunto computers. I’ve just bought my 5th Suunto (EON Steel Black).

Nothing at all if you don't mind bad quality control and horrible customer service. Search around here you'll find plenty wrong with suunto computers.

Nothing at all if you don't mind bad quality control and horrible customer service. Search around here you'll find plenty wrong with suunto computers.
Are you sure that customer service is the same in Europe as in the US?

Since Suunto is European (Finnish, I believe), maybe they have better customer service here, and, given the lower price (in the EU), here it could be a valid alternative...

I don't know, I am just asking :)

O pricing, you certainly have a point.

The rec-only diver is free to--perhaps even encouraged to--leave the Perdix in Rec Mode. The available customizations in Rec Mode are aligned with what a diver with a good OW-level education should know.

At least that is the response I would have given before Shearwater introduced the Peregrine. I see no reason to recommend the Perdix anymore to new divers who have no immediate goals beyond enjoying simple diving. The things you are "not talking about"--quality, customer service, etc.--are reasons to continue to recommend Shearwater products.
I would agree with that if they had a peregrine AI. That is the big difference to me. AI is worth the difference imo.

It's all been mentioned before but, Ai, widely used user replaceable battery, compass, easy to read screen. Name another dc that has all that?... if you don't need all that don't get it, get a Peregrine.

I just can't think of another dc that checks all the boxes for less? Someone else mentioned resale value... buy one new, take care of it, sell it down the road and recoup ~ 75% of what it cost. There you go, you rented a perdix for dirt cheap for a few years, way better than renting some piece of crap for most likely more money..

Better yet, buy it used for even less and sell it for just about what you paid for it. I thought I'd never spend perdix money on a dc,.... 2 computers later I bought a perdix.... they told me buy once, cry once...I should have listened:)

It's all been mentioned before but, Ai, widely used user replaceable battery, compass, easy to read screen. Name another dc that has all that?... if you don't need all that don't get it, get a Peregrine.

I just can't think of another dc that checks all the boxes for less? Someone else mentioned resale value... buy one new, take care of it, sell it down the road and recoup ~ 75% of what it cost. There you go, you rented a perdix for dirt cheap for a few years, way better than renting some piece of crap for most likely more money..

Better yet, buy it used for even less and sell it for just about what you paid for it. I thought I'd never spend perdix money on a dc,.... 2 computers later I bought a perdix.... they told me buy once, cry once...I should have listened:)
Agreed on all counts. I bought 3 different computers (all used) before finally just ponying up for the perdix. I wasted more on those than what it will cost to use a perdix for many years. This is one of those purchases I really should have cried once and been done with it.

Agreed on all counts. I bought 3 different computers (all used) before finally just ponying up for the perdix. I wasted more on those than what it will cost to use a perdix for many years. This is one of those purchases I really should have cried once and been done with it.

It's just growing pains... we don't know what we don't know, and really who knows what type of diver they'll be in the beginning. I know I didn't.

It's just growing pains... we don't know what we don't know, and really who knows what type of diver they'll be in the beginning. I know I didn't.

I didn't and I've changed my mind a few times over the years. If you would have told me I was going to be winters in NE when I started I would have called you insane, a few months later I'm in a drysuit diving Northern MA in the middle of winter. I can keep going.

I didn't and I've changed my mind a few times over the years. If you would have told me I was going to be winters in NE when I started I would have called you insane, a few months later I'm in a drysuit diving Northern MA in the middle of winter. I can keep going.
I hear you.... I started with some "hand-me-down" gear that a buddy had sitting in his shed... I thought "cool I can dive for cheap"....

Now I shudder (and stop) anytime I start adding up all the gear that's on me whenever I dive.. it's all used, all as inexpensive deals as I could find, and I'm still into the $1000's on each and every dive.... and I don't even have all the bells and whistles everyone else has!! I couldn't hold a candle to some of you guys:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom