Rebuilding a Valve?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
What parts do I need to rebuild my own valve? What # O-ring and what HP seats are needed? Thanks for your help.

Depends on the valve make and year of manufacture.

IF there is a stem o-ring it's 90%+ likely a -010 with a backup ring. Sherwood now uses 2 teflon flat rings.

HP seats in US native tanks come in about 3 variants. USD has their own that does not interchange with anyone elses.

Most of the rest use a Sherwood manufactured teflon coated thread/ "nylon" contact face seat, with a few manufacturers using a larger diameter one that comes from a different manufacturer of industrial cylinder valves.

The face o-ring is either a -014 or a (-111 ???). I know the skinny one is a 14, the thick one is only used in valves dating from before the early 80s and I won't swear that -111 is the right number, but it's within one of that either way if it's not.

The internal seal in many valves is simply a copper crush ring that comes in the rebuild kit and is available from a few places as a stand alone part. Those that don't use the copper ring use several different sizes of o-ring between -013 to -018.

FT

Dive4Life:
What parts do I need to rebuild my own valve? What # O-ring and what HP seats are needed? Thanks for your help.
I just take mine to a place in Lexington and tell them I need so many of each and what material. $6 or $7 did 4 valves for O2 clean.

The info helps. The valves in question are the new thermo valves.

Dive4Life:
The info helps. The valves in question are the new thermo valves.

You could obtain a complete parts kit from DiveRite Express, although at approximately $20 you might consider it too expensive, or you might think it a great deal for all of the parts in one place. Don't know, the choice is yours. Remember, free shipping on orders of $25 or more, so if there is anything else you want you might choose to combine it into your order. Or, since your profile indicates that you are in Miami, you could just drive up.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
You could obtain a complete parts kit from DiveRite Express, although at approximately $20 you might consider it too expensive, or you might think it a great deal for all of the parts in one place. Don't know, the choice is yours. Remember, free shipping on orders of $25 or more, so if there is anything else you want you might choose to combine it into your order. Or, since your profile indicates that you are in Miami, you could just drive up.

Mark Vlahos

That picture with the valve and all the parts broken down helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom