Rebreathers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove OC trimix for many years, switched to CC in 2008, although I still have all my OC gear and dive it on occasion. I know all the arguments pro and con for both sides Given my druthers I'll take CC every single time on technical dives , except in Mexico caves. Because that's how I roll.

Paul from Revo had a really good paper on oxygen cell replacement schedules and typical cell life and how to mitigate the risks inherent to galvanic O2 cells.

About 3/4 down the page there's a good chart and the accompanying page prior on replacement schedules demonstrates both the improbability of losing all of your cells, and how a replacement schedule mitigates issues.

http://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/rEvo/Manuals/Understanding_oxygen_sensors.pdf

Paul from Revo had a really good paper on oxygen cell replacement schedules and typical cell life and how to mitigate the risks inherent to galvanic O2 cells.

About 3/4 down the page there's a good chart and the accompanying page prior on replacement schedules demonstrates both the improbability of losing all of your cells, and how a replacement schedule mitigates issues.

http://www.oceanedgeoutfitters.com/v/vspfiles/rEvo/Manuals/Understanding_oxygen_sensors.pdf

The above article also explained the current situation with the sensor technology not being up to the task at hand. With the "failure out of the box" mode for new sensors goes to show that the technology is inherently "unsafe". I know that the sensors are repurposed from other industries which operate at 1 Atmosphere and ambient humidity. The rebreather application is way outside the design limits for these cells. I am not aware of a purpose built O2 sensor for rebreathers.

Here is the only rebreather I would consider. It has full CE safety certifications, unlike everything else I have seen.

https://www.opensafety.eu/datasheets/Apoc O2 Datasheet 110805.pdf
Why not just say you will never use a rebreather rather than bring up an imaginary one that is clouded by a bunch of PDF's and promoted by an expert in everything but has been discredited by everyone?
You have no clue about this Apoc do you?

Plenty of rebreathers have CE certifications. And the Navy Mk28 is basically a tall Meg with an aluminum head.

Plenty of backstory on the APOC. Suffice it to say, it's the last thing you want to use to make an argument about safe rebreathers.

As a rebreather diver in training, I can say a few things are critical...the first thing my instructor did before even having me start my class was watch this video....he wanted to create a mindset and I can't thank him enough..we all as divers have a tendency of accepting deviance and its a large part of what gets people killed...this video ALL divers should watch and its called "Normalization of deviance"
Lessons everyone should remember if you are seriously considering rebreathers:
1. Observer scrubber guidelines...if they tell you don't pack the scrubber without diving it within 24hrs, observe the rule.
2. Do your predives in completion, if the predive calls for you to check mushroom valves in the BOV...check them every time.
3. Scrubber packing is important, fly by that and expect trouble, don't repack, don't rush...do it right
4. listen to your instrumentation, if there is the slightest problem, Bail out... like my instructor said, "when in doubt, bail out"
5. stage bottle, you have no business diving a rebreather without a bail out bottle.
6. master the art of closing the loop when you surface...remember you are dealing with a chemical scrubber that does not like water.
7. Match your gas to your dive plan...this forces you to have a dive plan!

There are a ton of other things Ive learned but, these are the salient points. Nothing wrong with rebreathers, I think they make better divers because they force you to check your equipment in completion, something most O/C divers get out of the habit of doing over time.

I've been diving CCR for a few years now, both mCCR and eCCR. Both have their positives and negatives. Bottom line is that you need to know how much time you've got on your scrubber, you need to be diligent with your assembly and pre-dive checks, and you have to be 100% willing to bail out and end a dive if something goes wrong, even if you have dolphins and mermaids dancing and it's the best dive ever. You have to know to never start a dive with a known fault, and you can't be cheap about pushing scrubber time and O2 sensor life. Things can happen at any time.

Rebreather diving is not for everyone. That being said, I'll never disrespect anyone for their choice to dive CCR or OC. If anyone has an issue with me diving CCR, you're welcome to write me a postcard to tell me all about it. :poke:

Dug into the Apoc, it looks good on the surface but it looks like the guy is on some kind of crusade. I guess I will have to keep looking until I find something else, too bad, I liked the design.

Back
Top Bottom