Rebreather Worth It or Not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm...You are a bit far out from me.

Im in Toronto...Ill seee if I can find someone here.

You shouldn't have a problem. Make sure to check out rebreatherworld.com . That is how I got started on my knowledge quest.

Highly recommend a pool session..if you can afford a private one, do that. If anything you walk away from it knowing a little more about what the fuss is all about. It's really cool.

I have been considering the same thing... Just Rec diving right now, and taking Adv Rec Trimix this summer. Rebreathers interest me a lot and my thinking was that I may want to get into them before I am doing 200ft + dives. That way I spend the time needed in shallower water before moving on to deeper water. I think that if I am trained and doing deep dives and then move to a RB it may be hard to refrain from doing those deep dives to quickly. So I am seriously thinking about after a year or two of doing some lite deco with dives down to the 160ft range I may move to RB. We will see if my pocketbook can take it at the time though...

Phil

Look, getting to diving rebreathers is a big investment. That I can not deny, but they have served me well as valuable tool for photography and prolong diving applications.

If you're interested in getting into diving rebreathers, KISS Rebreathers recently announced their 2009 retail prices for both the Classic and the Sport.

In addition to their standard setup with the 3 independent, PO2-only displays (each independently battery powered) which can be upgraded to VR Technologies PO2 pendant in place the KISS displays for monitoring O2 levels in the loop, both Classic and the Sport are now offered with VR Technologies new VRx Computer.

The successor to the VR3, the VRx offers more than a computer with a sleek, low profile design and pretty face (it comes in a choice of colors), it features a high resolution screen with graphics, rechargeable battery system (similar to those used in cell phones with 4 year warranty). But most important to a rebreather diver, the VRx is the first computer from VR Technologies to directly read all 3 oxygen sensors without the need of any addition hardware other than a fisher type cable, allowing the dive to both monitor their PO2 and dive profile, with the computer making the calculations in real time. Furthermore, the computer comes standard with both VGM and Buhlmann algorithm for nitrox and trimix diving in addition closed circuit and open circuit modes.

The retail price (listed in Canadian dollars)for Classic with the VRx computer will be $7,790.00, with the Sport/VRx combo coming in for $1,100 less at $6,690.00.

Based on the current value of the Canadian dollar against who ever, the cost advantage to getting into a new rebreather is more compelling than ever.

For example, on Feb. 23, 2009, current exchange rates, for $5,350.84 US, would get that lucky diver a new Sport KISS, with a VRx computer. Or if you choose to go a little less fancy 3,842.25 (U.S.) will get you the same rebreather with the traditional KISS triple PO2 displays. With or without the VRx, I don't think you will find a better deal from another rebreather with a reputation in good standing as KISS.

KISS lives up to their motto Keeping It Super Simple, even with their prices.

My only recommendation is to not look at prices until after you've reserached your unit. Life support doesn't have a price tag. That said the KISS is a great machine...the rEvo's better:crafty:

Rebreathers offer HUGE bottom time advantages at the cost of dedication to equipment maintenance, training, and COST. One must also find Ops that are willing to take you out for a 3 hour+ dive (if boat diving).

If you don't have $9K to blow on a setup/training, the question is mute. If you do have that kinda discretionary income, and are willing to spend the time and bucks for training, I'd sure jump at the chance to be diving in one!

I've been in the water a few times with rebreather divers. It was cool times X! Robin (rebreather diver/instructor) was diving a 25K unit, so quite pricey! You have to be trained on the specific model you plan to dive, so that is your first decision once you decide this is the route for you. One must also have Advanced Nitrox/Deco certification to start I believe.

One must also have Advanced Nitrox/Deco certification to start I believe.

While most people do take those courses together you truely only need Advanced Nitrox for the rebreather training. The first level of training is No Deco on a RB. Now that beign said I have been told that it is a really good idea to already have to OC training with at least one Deco bottle, just to get a little experience with it before going to RB.

Phil

I started out as a recreational diver when I switched to CCR. Some of my biggest thrills so far have included simply going back to some of my favorite moderate depth dive sites, the ones where I used to rush to the max depth, say 120 fsw, hang out for a few minutes and then noodle my way up slope to the surface staying just within the NDL, and instead, take my sweet time hanging out at each level, relaxing and enjoying my favorite parts for practically as long as I want on CCR. my first two hour dive of a common local dive spot yielded 10 octo and 4 wolf eel sightings... even got to see octos going through a terretory battle, as they were much more at ease since I was silent, or course not all rebreather dives are mind blowing, in fact, on occasion I have a dive that makes me question whether it's all worth it.

My expectations about the dives I would be doing was unrealistic. I was surprised to find that really deep dives are actually not that common, even on a rebreather. To put the depth question in perspective, from what I can tell, many rebreather dives are within recreational depths or maybe a bit deeper but mainly for dramatically extended bottom times, dives in the 200-250 range are somewhat common, dives to 350 fsw are remakably uncommon and hardly anybody goes below 500 fsw... there are still limits, they are just different.

the advantages for me:
-more up close and personal: dramatic increase of wildlife viewing, everything simply goes about it's business!
-nitrox on the fly: all the advantages of nitrox accept you get to optimize the mix for each depth, virtually eliminating a MOD.
- no more cotton mouth: I get less dehydrated and cold because of the much warmer moist air.
-slow and relaxed: much less of a hurry on the ascent, stair step profilles take on a whole new dimension, you can zig zag up a reef to your hearts content.
-more freedom: no more pesky DM shaking their rattles at you! ...after a few observation dives, they generally let you do your own thing, they simply can't keep up.
-improved logistics: for a road trip, instead of hauling 12 80's with me for an extended weekend, I've got an 80 or 2 full of 02, 1 or 2 80's full of air and a trans fill whip... no need for a compressor, since a 1,200PSI fill is still good for an hour or so.
-less fatigue: vastly reduced nitrogen fatigue on extended trips.
-add a dive kayak and the world becomes your oyster!
-managable operating cost: using air dilluent in a manual injection rebreather (one that does not require pricey annual trips back to the manufacturer), tracking overall cost per hour, it's worked out to about the cost of nitrox OC diving. I'm told that if you are a Helium diver, a rebreather pays for it's self in a few years.

the downsides for me:
-extensive learning curve: many folks jump into rebreather diving with the hopes of picking up where they left off with OC, only to find that it's like starting over. The fact is, more so than OC, you never stop learning. I'm three years into it and only recently have gained the confidence I once had on OC. It's best to go into it with a lot of patients and not push yourself to go to the next step till you are good and ready.
-increased initial expense, don't let anyone kid you, it adds up, but manual rebreathers are cheaper and seem to be more reliable, if that's a concern.
-like it or not, you're a tec diver: at first, you feel like a tec diver, because, without realizing it, you've become one, and that comes with a lot of personal responsibility and simply can't be taken litely.
-more time consuming: initially, the set up time to time diving ratio goes in the wrong direction... a lot of fiddling for short dives... later you get faster and the dives you do are longer, deeper and more rewarding, a trade off.
-more hazards: simple mistakes can kill you, smart people are just as prone to stupid mistakes as anyone else, like simply forgetting to turn on their gas... never trust yourself or your rebreather, cross check them both constantly assuming you will, despite your infinite wisdom, someday do something really stupid... your monitoring habits need to take the propensity for both human and mechanical error into account, your choice of gear and configuration should reflect this basic reality. All to often, starting out simple seems to bear the best results.

my advice, if you are an avid diver, have the opportunity to do at least 50 dives a year, hopefully getting in the water monthly, and can't get enough with OC, then this just may be the path for you regardless of how deep you like to dive.

good luck in your quest!
george

Hi All,

I have just finished doing some reading on mixed gases, nitrox and rebreathers and decided I wanted some more information (my books didn't answer all my questions...actually gave me more questions).

I have noticed in a few posts here and there that several people seem to be using a rebreather for recreational diving. I was wondering for recreational divers is there much benefit to using a rebreather?

- Why would one move to a rebreather anyway? (I can understand if your doing photography or videos, but is that the only reason?)
- Are there still depth limitations on rebreathers? (I read about older oxygen CCRs)
- Don't they Just add more complication to life and increase the chances of ending up on your death bed sooner??

Truth is as I read I got caught up in the oooo and ahhhh after reading about rebreathers and i'd love to know...apart from the cool factor is there anything else...is it okay to get into a rebreather for the cool factor (if one should have the money, which I dont at the moment but my curiosity has been teased).

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Last edited:
Gill, I could have not said it better. I just hauled my inspo in a travel frame to Maui ($25.00 each way revenue for United) and only got to dive it three times due to weather. Still worth every pound and airport hassle. It is truly my Jezebel and my wife knows it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom