Rebreather use in mainland Japan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish

The man behind the fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Met a guy last weekend who had me wondering...

He was a rebreather user somewhere on the west coast of Izu. Knowing how negative dive sites can be about "outside" tank use, I wonder how many would be positive about letting divers use rebreathers at thier location.

Probably not many...

JAG

There are a very limited number of dive sites that allow the use of RBs.

Most training for RBs is done at Shishihama.

We have special arrangements with certain dive services to allow the use of our own tanks and equipment, but of course pay the facilities fees, etc.

jagfish:
Where is shishihama, on the west coast?

Is it nice?

Yes and no.

One other forum member affectionally calls that place.... somethinghama, well, you can figure it out.

Why didn't you ask Thomas that question? He trained on a RB in Japan.

Interesting that dive sites in Japan do not seem to allow anything but tanks rented on site. Of course here in the States I own all my own tanks and have some for diving locally and another for diving on the mainland when I'm over there. Of course I will not bring my own tanks when I travel there, so I know I will have to rent.

Dr. Bill

Where I am in Kyushu we use our own tanks - it seems to depend on where you are. Izu in particular seems to have a local population that is trying hard to make extra money out of divers.

There are only a few dive sites that allow the use of privately owned tanks.

We have negotiated with a few other sites to allow the use of our own (Mar Scuba) tanks. We bring must bring 2 tanks for a 2 tank dive.

The main problem is that is no compressor on site for most dive locations. The tanks are filled at a central filling station and then brought in by truck each day. Some dive sites have 100-200 cylinders.

The other reason is the cost of a tank is very high considering only steel tanks are in acceptance. Price for 10 or 12 liter tank is about US$ 400-500.

Finally, there is very little difference for the price of an air fill vs. a rental tank (full).

How do you guys manage to use doubles then? Are they all independants just built from local rentals?

For doubles, it is a more difficult story. There is one large air fill company which delivers all up and down the Izu penninsula. They have some doubles which are available (they also do nitrox singles).

Also, the previously mentioned Shishihama has doubles for rental.

The problem with doubles is to get the fill, a yoke to DIN fill whip adapter is required because almost all fill stations are yoke and doubles valves are DIN.

Are the tanks you use in Kyushu steel or aluminum?

My tanks are steel. We have quite a good deal with a diveshop for fills - about 1000 yen/tank. Actually my mate has done a new deal with them and pays 40,000 yen/year up front - then they charge 600 yen/tank through the year. It works out quite well if you use enough tanks. Mostly around Fukuoka they charge 1500 yen/fill - but I don't know how that compares to renting the tanks as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom