Rebreather Prerequisites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am very interested in getting into rebreather diving but I am wondering about any essential prerequisite training that other rebreather divers recommend before I invest time and money into this.
I am currently a PADI OWSI with about 600 dives logged. Most of my diving experience has been in northern and southern California.
I am asking in the scubaboard forum because I dont know any one else that has a lot of rebreather experience.
Would you recommend using a dry suit for any and all rebreather dives in California?
Any input you have would be very helpful. Thanks!

Would you recommend using a dry suit for any and all rebreather dives in California?
Any input you have would be very helpful. Thanks!

If you are able to well control your buoyancy and you feel at ease in the water I believe you have enough experience to start ccr diving.
concerning the dry suit. If you are already handling a dry suit, I see no problem (I did it) to train ccr with the dry suit.
If you use a wet suit I waould advise against.
Reason being when you start ccr you add an additional gas volume to handle and you lose ability to fine tune your buoyancy with breathing so it is not advisable to add an additional one. It becomes too complicated ...

Cheers

Agencies and units have different requirements. Generally advanced open water and nitrox will get you in the door.

Find an instructor that's well versed on several units and find the one that will work best for you.

I recommend a drysuit for all types of diving in California.

Certainly you've gotta ask why you want to get into rebreathers. Your instructor certainly will.

As was said AOW & Nitrox are usually required to satrt. I would suggest a thorough knowledge of Nitrox is very helpful. I don't know if an instructor versed in several different types of rebreathers is necessary or not, as long as they are well versed in all aspects of that unit & it is the unit you are interested in. An instructor that does many units is helpful if you are undecided in what unit you may want to dive. As for diving it with drysuit, I started from day 1 diving a drysuit on mine. As long as you keep in mind, that you have yet another air space to manage (counterlungs), it should not be a problem.

I would suggest finding a couple of different rebreather experience dives... I am also looking at rebreather certification but wanted to get some experience with several models before making the ultimate jump.... I've only gotten to try the SF2 so far, loved it but have been told the work of breathing is easier with other models (didn't think it was hard with the SF2).

A drysuit is NOT mandatory for CCR diving. I'm based here in Southern California, and dive CCR all the time with a wetsuit, year 'round. All of my diving is with a wetsuit, be it OC or CCR. One of the benefits of a CCR is the warm air. It "does the body good".

And if you're thinking about an IANTD course, with Normix or Advanced Rec Trimix, you can use mix during your course for a clearer head and decreased WOB.

There's a lot of mental issues. At least there was for me. I've been in the hunt for the rebreather for me, and have finally settled on the SF2.

The first question I would ask is why do you think you need a rebreather. What dive are you not able to do OC that makes you think investing in a rebreather is worth it. With so many different rebreathers out there today and really all of them have pros and cons there is not one best rebreather. I would choose the device to fit your current/expected needs and go from there. I dive the JJ and love it - but it if I was more into Sidemount diving maybe the SF2, if I was doing ocean diving and not penetrating wrecks or caves the size of the unit becomes irrelevant. If it was for travel then a lighter model would have made sense.

Certainly talking to your local dive shop or guys at Add helium is useful, but to make a good choice you need to decide what you want to do with the unit.

Back
Top Bottom