Rebreather Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's what you're not realizing....I'll break it down for you based on my own personal experience:

Kiss LTE rebreather - $4,250.00
Petrel computer - $1,250.00
Oxygen/bailout cylinders/regulators - $750.00
O2 sensors -$300.00
Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures certification - $700.00
Kiss rebreather training (air diluent) - $1,500.00
Shearwater NERD - $2,250.00
Kiss rebreather training (normoxic trimix) - $1,500.00
Additional cylinders/regulators - $750.00
Travel for training - $1,500.00
Sorb & other required stuff - $500.00+

That's just training & equipment....$16,000+

Wait...then there's my second unit (DiveRite O2ptima) - $5,000.00
Crossover training $750.00

Oh, and the other 2 units that are on the way - $2,000.00.

We're well over $20,000.00 here.
And that's with a "cheap" Kiss unit.

Rebreather diving is not something to get into on the cheap.

Have you done any research on the unit you're looking at? $800 for a used SCR with no local parts availability. Just to get the unit in the water, plan on another $300-$500. Then training. At the end of all that, you've got a used SCR that, if it breaks, you're SOL until you find parts or get them from Italy.

Become a competent diver first. Don't worry about a rebreather until you're doing diving that is beyond the capabilities of the gear you're using.

Seriously. It's not even close to basic scuba.

On a totally unrelated note...you know why the new Italian Navy has glass bottom boats, right?

So they can see the old Italian Navy!!

Just because something is made for someone's military doesn't means it's worth diving recreationally. Military diving is goal oriented, not enjoyment oriented.

Yeah that is the major red flag/problem i have with the unit---NO PARTS. I contacted the company to see if they happen to stock oem parts for the rebreather.

Yeah that is the major red flag/problem i have with the unit---NO PARTS. I contacted the company to see if they happen to stock oem parts for the rebreather.

Parla bene l'italiano? Should be fun.

APD Inspiration Classic

You could get this unit for 1200 and it's a better unit overall. But it still might need some fixing up

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You can bet that an Inspo for $1200 will need a lot of fixing up. I still think at his level, SCR makes more sense in the short run. I'm not a fan of "recreational" CCRs, and something like a Poseidon will still cost thousands. But he can get a GEM for about $1600 with less costly training and easier access using nitrox.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

This thread gave me depression. Thanks for killing off my dreams guys, reality sucks.

But if anyone wants to donate to fund my rebreather pm me for my paypal info

Look up the jjccr and dream of that all night. It will help you rest. Work hard and save your cash and one day you'll have a sweet CCR doing expedition cave dives

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This thread gave me depression. Thanks for killing off my dreams guys, reality sucks.

But if anyone wants to donate to fund my rebreather pm me for my paypal info

Don't look at it that way bro. You're JUST starting. Enjoy it. Learn to dive REALLY good on open circuit scuba.

When (not if) that rebreather you get someday breaks, you better be good at OC diving.

Most cave divers use rebreathers for the bottom time??? What caves are you diving? (Speaking of which, don't. Cave diving without training is the number one killer and suggesting it here won't win you any fans)

The percentage is growing but it's still a Minority, and who is diving them? Middle aged fat men with all their kids grown up. (And AJ...you get the point though I hope)

How did we all learn to dive? Cheap tanks and manifolds picked up on the forums. Used wetsuits that didn't fit us. Diving air until the deco on oxygen cost so much that nitrox got cheaper overall. There is no need for a rebreather for long bottom times, there should be no rush to get into one, and if you think $400 a year for oxygen cells is bad that is your sign to avoid rebreathers.

That said I am looking to buy a rebreather in the next year...but there's no rush. I've done 5 hour open circuit dives, there's nothing magical that happens different in hour 5 that didn't happen in hour one.

... good stuff snipped... That said I am looking to buy a rebreather in the next year...but there's no rush. I've done 5 hour open circuit dives, there's nothing magical that happens different in hour 5 that didn't happen in hour one.

Two of the tangible advantages on long ccr dives is breathing warm, moist gas... and the quiet. Every time I dive OC, I'm reminded of this!

As a rule, my first question to folks who wanna dive caves on ccr is WHY? (perhaps one reason I don't get as many CCR Cave students as I'd like... LOL). The additional work is often not justified for the profiles being pursued. Cannot think of a decent analogy but sort of like buying a shop compressor and roofing nailer to put a bundle of shingles on a DIY tool shed.

However, there are times when a CCR is the right choice... and in those circumstances CCR is the right choice. (Sorry to get all Zen on you!)

So, I stayed out of this thread to see what direction it would take. I envisioned what would happen would be a 17 year old kid arguing with every post and fighting tooth and nail the whole way to explain why his ideas were right, despite 200+ years of diving experience here telling him differently.

But I guess the 17 year old OP has more common sense and wisdom than I did at 17. Hell most 12 year olds do. :) Weekendwarrior didn't do any of that. :) Kudos

At any rate, Weekendwarrior...
I get that you want to run after this with everything you have. A lot of cave divers have the same personality type. It's great that you have a passion for this sport and want to experience it all, but you HAVE to realize that this is a marathon, not a sprint. While there is easily 30-40k worth of dive gear in some CCR cave divers' garages, it didn't happen overnight. My first cave setup was bought on layaway. Hell, my second cave diving rig was bought on layaway. It's taken me nearly 20 years to have the gear I have. I swear to you, if you do this all overnight, you will be out of this sport in 2-3 years.

Cave and Tech diving is like the perfect beef brisket. You can't smoke the perfect brisket in 30 minutes. It may take 20 hours. If you get in a rush, the finished product sucks.

The secret to really enjoying 100% of what this sport has to offer is to take your time. Experience every part of it to the fullest. Once you've mastered everything at your level, move on to the next level. I know, it sounds stupid.

I'll give you another example.
When I was 18 I started buying sport bikes. I started with a Kawasaki EX500. It was the second from slowest Ninja you could buy. My mentor who sold it to me told me to take it slow. I didn't need to do every wheelie, burnout and trick I could get it to do the first week. I didn't need to see how fast it would go today. Of course, I was 18, so by the end of the week, there wasn't much I hadn't tried on that bike. Less than 6 months later I was bored with that bike, looking for something faster, cooler, handling better. I moved to a 1000 Ninja, double the cylinders, double the horsepower, and would wheelie in the first 4 gears, oh and I went from 120mph bike to a 150-160mph bike. I blew three of those up in the first year. Then the ZX-11 came out. I had to have one. It was the fastest bike ever made (until the hayabusa in 2001) I remember flying down the freeway at 140mph on one wheel. But by the time the Hayabusa (193 mph) came out, I was already bored. I had every fast bike you could buy from 1992 - 1999. I went fast, did burnouts, drag races, wheelies, blah blah blah, so what. It's all the same at this point. Today, I have absolutely no interest in having a motorcycle. I've already done everything there could be to do, there's nothing new to experience.

Scuba diving can be like that. PADI states that in the first 3 years after certification 98% of divers will quit diving. There are several factors that play into why that happens, but if you love this sport, let it be a life long passion. No an obsession that dwindles away in 3 or less years.

Now, on to some of your other comments...
I'd advise you to move away from the PADI path in your technical training. There are better options, seek them out and use them. Most cave divers are NOT using rebreathers. In fact when a new permit opened up last year at a very awesome 300' deep site, of the 20 people on the permit, only two divers showed up with CCR. I was one of them. Rebreathers are growing, but they are not the majority in cave diving yet. There are many reasons for this, but the two biggest are probably cost and simplicity of Open Circuit. If you don't think you can enjoy diving on open circuit, then I promise this hobby is not for you. Crap gear, awesome gear, OC, CCR, if you are not in awe of the underwater world, then don't waste your cash any further, you'll outgrow scuba soon. Hey it's not for everyone. While I'd rather be on a rebreather, I find the cave just as beautiful and amazing on OC as I do CCR.

My advice... take it slow. Enjoy it. Don't rush, certainly don't try to buy a rebreather now, even a good one. And oh, by the way, the one you are looking at is NOT the one of several you should buy. Save up, get great instruction. Buy dive gear that makes sense based on what you'll need in the future (buying twice because you purchased wrong sucks).

If you need any help, let me know.

Back
Top Bottom