Rebreather Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just can't even figure out where to start with this one. If you want to waste $800 on a unit you'll never actually use, knock yourself out.

Dive OC, a lot, and research useful CCRs with Megs, rEvos, the new Liberty, etc. One of these days you'll have a decent idea which one you want and can save up in the meantime. Nickle rocketry will get you killed.

This is the road I want to go down, but I am on a high school budget, so spending 4K on one of those overpriced KISS units doesn't appeal to me, nor does spending 15k on a decent higher end one.

But dead for $800 does appeal to you?

800 smackers for an underwater anasthesia machine is a steal. Make sure that the halothane tanks are full when you buy it.

disregard...

Last edited:
A lot of garbage being spouted in this thread. Used scuba equipment is sold to uncertified people all the time. Used rebreathers are no different. If someone wants to kill himself, you can't blame the guy who sold the equipment. The buyer assumes the risk.
As for the choice of this particular rebreather, SCR technology has come a long way since the early days of the Azimuth and Dolphin. Read an old comparative review here. Dolphin v Azimuth
Modern pSCR systems have many advantages. The GEM from Kiss is a good example. The Hollis Explorer is a much more expensive and complicated example. Both are superior to the Azimuth. If you are interested in SCR, check out the GEM and I will make you a great deal on one with less than 20 dives. It won't be $800, but the difference would be money well spent.
Or take your time, get a lot of diving hours behind you, and save up for a CCR.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Its worth checking out though, right? Is it not? Just because the price is low, doesn't make it a deathtrap. This isn't a hollis or drayger--Its a much lesser known company. Not easy to find a price reference point, the guy doesn't dive and is probably just trying to get rid of it. The company, OMG actually supplies gear to Italy's navy, so it has to be decent. As for the sensors, I was unaware O2 sensors cost that much to change. Im new to diving, and (clearly) know little if anything about this rebreathing stuff, so helps appreciated. Are there any budget rebreathers around less than 2k that you guys recommend? And this $800 rig is going to be a lot safer than the pvc and vacuum cleaner hose contraptions I see in the DIY rebreather subform.

Its a private party (craigslist) , not a company.

On this, I will agree with you -- private party CCR sales are not necessarily going to involve a seller taking the attitude of 'show me your C-card or I'm shipping the unit to your instructor'. Certainly my used rEvo II arrived at my doorstep with all the stuff necessary to dive it right there in the box, and all that I needed to give the seller was $4500. However, while I'm generally very comfortable with self-teaching and calculating risks, I absolutely wasn't diving that thing until I was in class learning how to use it. Heed the warnings you're receiving here.

As an aside, I've seen nice rEvo II hCCRs go for $3000 since then -- $800 for that SCR piece of :censored: you're talking about would be a terrible decision.

DIY CCRs are for people who know rebreathers well enough to understand how they work as they're using them and make their own. In that sense, they're likely safer than this outdated, complex, impossible-to-find-parts-for SCR about which you're utterly clueless.

Here's what you're not realizing....I'll break it down for you based on my own personal experience:

Kiss LTE rebreather - $4,250.00
Petrel computer - $1,250.00
Oxygen/bailout cylinders/regulators - $750.00
O2 sensors -$300.00
Advanced Nitrox/Deco Procedures certification - $700.00
Kiss rebreather training (air diluent) - $1,500.00
Shearwater NERD - $2,250.00
Kiss rebreather training (normoxic trimix) - $1,500.00
Additional cylinders/regulators - $750.00
Travel for training - $1,500.00
Sorb & other required stuff - $500.00+

That's just training & equipment....$16,000+

Wait...then there's my second unit (DiveRite O2ptima) - $5,000.00
Crossover training $750.00

Oh, and the other 2 units that are on the way - $2,000.00.

We're well over $20,000.00 here.
And that's with a "cheap" Kiss unit.

Rebreather diving is not something to get into on the cheap.

Have you done any research on the unit you're looking at? $800 for a used SCR with no local parts availability. Just to get the unit in the water, plan on another $300-$500. Then training. At the end of all that, you've got a used SCR that, if it breaks, you're SOL until you find parts or get them from Italy.

Become a competent diver first. Don't worry about a rebreather until you're doing diving that is beyond the capabilities of the gear you're using.

Seriously. It's not even close to basic scuba.

On a totally unrelated note...you know why the new Italian Navy has glass bottom boats, right?

So they can see the old Italian Navy!!

Just because something is made for someone's military doesn't means it's worth diving recreationally. Military diving is goal oriented, not enjoyment oriented.

Join rebreatherworld.com and post looking to buy a unit for 2000

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom