Rebreather Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekendwarrior72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everybody,

New diver and new to the site. I started diving because a friends father does cave diving and deep dives 350ft+. He uses a rebreather and has explained closed, simi closed and open circuit systems, and the benefits and drawbacks of each. The benefits of rebreathers seem well worth the few drawbacks. Im getting into cavern diving, and most cave divers now a-days use rebreathers for the bottom time. I know Im a new diver, and only 17, but in the next 6 months - a year (can't get rebreather certified by PADI unless 18) I plan on diving ALOT, and have the ability to do so. Anyway, I found what appears to be a great deal on an OMG Azimuth rebreather- It was made circa 2005-08 ish by an Italian company that produces naval weapons systems as well as commercial and military dive equipment. I have the ability to get it for $800. Theres not much info on it, but the manufacturer is reputable and legit, and still in business so they must be doing something right. I just want to know what I need to look for and check out when I meet with the guy, and want to know if a dive shop that sells KISS type rebreathers would be able to do maintenance on this one (It seems very high end/complex-all the bells and whistles. You are able to calibrate the airflow to your metabolic rate).
Thanks

ScarJo_popcorn-1.gif

Slow down!!!

You've got to get certified on the rebreather before you can dive it (ok, you're supposed to, and you're an idiot if you just get one and dive it without ever becoming rebreather certified) and you're nowhere near ready for rebreather diving.

Seriously, rebreathers can kill you if you don't know what the hell you're doing. We're not talking about going from an aluminum 80 to a steel 100...we're talking about putting a gas mixing machine on your back.

Regarding service, do you really want to trust a unit maintained by someone who may or may not know what they are doing??

There are warning labels on rebreathers for a reason.

1939564_10203028437853662_638115042_o.jpg

There are reasons that most new rebreathers are in the $6000-$12000 range. I don't think it would take a lot of thought for me to say "I'll pass" on an $800 "great deal".

If I had never dove a rebreather, I'd probably be scared poopless of the $800 rebreather!!!

I do have 2 units coming....complete with tanks....for $2,000.00. However, were I not both extremely mechanically competent and certified on the unit I would never have bought them.

You can get lots of bottom time in doubles too. You'll want to find an instructor and do some dives on a rebreather first. And you'll want one that replacement parts and sensors are available for the unit. A rebreather will kill you if it malfunctions or if your not paying attention to it. It can kill you on the surface with your head out of the water. If you have some buddies diving them why wouldn't you want to dive the same unit as them?
It will cost you 1500 plus just for the training on any unit you buy. Don't rush it and make sure to talk with lots of people that dive them. That way you will get some first hand info.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sorry for the long post , kinda got carried away. When the rebreather was new it sold for around 6k. that was about 8 years ago. The current owner got it as a part of a trade, and doesn't dive. Wanted $1,200 for it, talked him down to $800. I know I have to get certified before I use it, trust me drowning is the LAST way I want to go. My dive shop charges 1.5k for certification w/ rentals, 1.2k if you bring your own. Figure Id save some money and would rather spend the 300 towards ownership rather than rental. This is the road I want to go down, but I am on a high school budget, so spending 4K on one of those overpriced KISS units doesn't appeal to me, nor does spending 15k on a decent higher end one.

disregard..

Last edited:
Rebreather training is unit specific. What kind of oxygen sensors solenoid does it use what do they cost? And where do you get them from. Get the unit inspected too it might need 1000s of dollars in repairs before it's ready to dive. A kiss unit isn't over priced at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

trust me drowning is the LAST way I want to go. .

That's good... because it's not even at the top of the list of the ways a rebreather can kill you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom