Rebreather Cross-Over too soon or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi There,

I'm back with a beginner question. Do you have any view on timing for a cross-over to other unit? Can it be done immediately after a MOD1 or is it better to practice / get experience on the first unit before moving on to other unit.

In my view, testing multiple units is important before deciding to buy a unit.

Exposure

I'll ask a beginner question back: Why would you need to go through the whole training program for multiple rebreathers vs doing a supervised dive or three on the one or two you are considering, then get training on just the one you think is the one you bought or are seriously considering buying?

I can see why someone might want to be qualified to dive bunch of different rebreathers, but that doesn't seem to be your objective. You seem to be trying to find the one rebreather that is right for you.

If you have not purchased a unit yet, get some instructor-directed experience on several before buying and before investing in mod-1 or any other structured program. Also, speak with an experienced instructor who is not focused on selling you one or the other rebreather at the get go.

Since you seem to be in France, I have suggestions. What is your native language?

Kevin, you're right, I am trying to find the one rebreather that is right for me. I didnt go your way because I choose the unit based on what's around me, what's available for service, availability of second hand market (maybe wrongly by the way). Then through some discussions, the idea of doing one or two cross-over came. Thus, my question, because it doesn't look really appropriate to me.

Doppler, my native language is French.

Last edited:
What Doppler said makes a lot of sense. Talk to people. I have / had several rebreathers and they all have unique qualities. I personally like modular systems like the Meg where you can modify the unit for purpose. My purpose typically being video, or deep penetration. If I had a favorite it would be the former Cis Lunar 5P. No longer made - but way ahead of it's time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom