Rebreather costs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi DeepB,

Helmut Biechl in Kempten is an instructor on both units you inquire about, as well as the rEvo II and Hammerhead CCRs. Great guy and highly recommended.

<snip>
concerning the "spouse", i am not yet married :wink:

regards
DeepB

Obviously, you need to address the RB issue before you address the "spouse" issue.:wink:

By the way, if cost is an issue, an mCCR is less expensive than an eCCR. Also, you are less likely to get a used mCCR with a hidden problem than a used eCCR.

the problem is that i can't afford a new one. so i need a "good" used one.

I'm sorry, I just have to say this...

The gap in price between a solid used CCR and a new one, is not that large in the grand scheme. Generally, anything that would need to be put right with the unit, will eat up that difference.

I've seen used units with cracked heads, faulty handsets, etc. I've seen the occasional well cared for and fully ready used unit, but the price gap between it an new just wasn't worth the price difference.

Save your money, don't rush, and just buy a new one. In the end, you'll get the latest iterations of the handset software, deco algorithms, scrubber technologies, etc. Things you'll be paying for later when you upgrade your earlier models.

I don't care for the Inspiration personally, but it is a popular unit in some circles. The Meg is very popular and with good reason. There are a lot of options out there now. Shop carefully and understand each units pluses and minuses before pulling the trigger.

Dive Rite Express has some good FAQ on the subject: Megalodon Frequently Answered Questions

I know I will stir the pot by saying this, but avoid the Inspiration - it's junk. Go for the Meg. (Or an Optima :D)

Yea, you did stir it. I guess Richie Kohler dives junk to 500'. Oh, but that's an Evolution.

YBOD and Meg Pilot;
Bill

Yea, you did stir it. I guess Richie Kohler dives junk to 500'. Oh, but that's an Evolution.

YBOD and Meg Pilot;
Bill

Hey, I drove to Arizona once in a 1983 Ford Mustang GL. It was junk too. Doesn't mean it was smart :)

Although I am curious to ask someone who dives both - You don't feel the construction of the Meg is far superior to the YBOD? It seems to me (as someone who sells SDS and ISC parts,) they are all cheap plastic. The YBOD also seems to have more parts and special tools than the space shuttle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom